What reefs should I put in for 250mph gusts?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
"Typhoon Koinu brought wind gusts of up to 95.2 metres per second, or 342.7km/h (212.9mph) when it crossed Taiwan’s outer Lanyu (Orchid) island on Wednesday night. The Central Weather Administration (CWA) told the Guardian it was the highest wind gust recorded in Taiwan since the organisation was founded in 1986. The gust destroyed the island’s anemometer, the CWA said.

The gust appears to be the third-strongest recorded globally. In 1996 Western Australia’s Barrow Island recorded a 408km/h [253.5mph] gust, which broke the record set in 1934 when a 372km/h [231.2mph] gust was recorded in the US on Mount Washington in New Hampshire." :oops:

Taiwan records world’s third most powerful wind gust ever as Typhoon Koinu hits

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I know there is a move to poke gentle fun about the Andersen 22, but never really found out why.
It was in my view one of or perhaps the best of the 'trailer sailers' designed and built in the late 60's early 70's, quality of construction was good, and it sails well, it's a bit cramped down below and my main gripe is no side deck which means clambering over the coach roof to get to the foredeck, but there must be a historical forum thread which started it.

dunedin

Visit site
I know there is a move to poke gentle fun about the Andersen 22, but never really found out why.
It was in my view one of or perhaps the best of the 'trailer sailers' designed and built in the late 60's early 70's, quality of construction was good, and it sails well, it's a bit cramped down below and my main gripe is no side deck which means clambering over the coach roof to get to the foredeck, but there must be a historical forum thread which started it.
I am sure they are indeed great boats. So good that one particular poster raved so much about them that they gained mythical status and created the forum tradition 😀

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Because there is/was a member of the forum who was an ardent promoter of the marque (@Seajet), so much so that his promotion of the type became an object of friendly mickey taking!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site

I think they are not so much poking fun at the Anderson 22 per se, but at the memory of one of its former champions on this forum.

It is related to a former forumite, Seajet, who was a valued and informative participant of the forum, who I for one miss on here, but who did take his enthusiasm for Anderson 22s (and some of his other views) to extremes at times. I think most on here would accept the Anderson 22 is a very good boat of its type, but Seajet couldn't accept that others might have different views, preferences or needs, and occasionally made implausible (and unnecessary) claims for its capabilities and performance.

jac

Visit site
There was ( maybe still is) a forum member who was obsessive about the A22 - he had one, had had other boats but went back to the A22. He would extol it's virtues at the drop of a hat. We all think our own boat is great but i think most recognise that we have chosen what is great for us whereas others will argue that their chosen money disposal unit was best in all circumstances.

Many people picked up on it and some gentle ribbing was usually prevalent. With hindsight some of it may have been less gentle but usually ( i think) done in the right spirit.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Ah So! I think I joined the forum just as Seajet was disappearing, so it's good to know the origin of the Andersen 22 forum mythology.
Hopefully I can help keep the tradition going.
If I'm honest there have been a couple of times I have thought about one but talked myself out of it.

Last edited:

jac

Visit site
Ah So! I think I joined the forum just as Seajet was disappearing, so it's good to know the origin of the Andersen 22 forum mythology.
Hopefully I can help keep the tradition going.
If I'm honest there have been a couple of times I have thought about one but talked myself out of it.
You've already failed the first test.

Talking yourself out of an A22 is supposed to be impossible. It's the only thing built my man that can outrun an SR71