What Radar

Margem

Visit site
Looking for a budget priced radar, (for our Sealine S28) preferably with small radome/screen, due to lack of space, are the one,s currently on the market at around £600-£800 worth having? or should we spend more. We realised we needed one this season after near miss in fog with fishing trawler!
Any advice much appreciated before we part with hard earned dosh.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I bought an Apollo set a few years ago for my last boat.
It was really a Raythion ( or whatever) set, renamed when they want to get rid of over production.
About half price at the time for top of the range equipment,
you just cant swank about the name thats all.

Haydn

G

save the money and buy the cheap stuff. They either work or are blank screen. At fog speeds, you'll pick up everything. The fancy trickery is great fun, but it's all dead seriuous in fog, as you evid. know.

I wd advise playing with the machine (a lot) in full daylight, so yopu know exactly what a seagull, a largew ship, and everything in between really looks like when you can see it, so you trust the machine when you can't. Happy boating

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Although I have recently installed a furuno lcd radar and am very pleased with it, the cost would be about £2k, the JRC range seem to come out consistently well in all the surveys. If you go to www.westmarine.com and search around a bit you should find a survey carried out for an American boating magazine which gives top marks to either the JRC 1000 or 1500, can't remember exactly which one.

I think the 1500 has now come down to your price range and should do all that you want.