What Planar/Autoterm heater for my 9m boat?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I will be relocating from marina's to medway yacht club soon, i will miss plugging in a heater over winter so want to invest in a diesel heater. would a 2kw one be plenty, what kit? where is the best place to buy?

thank you
2kw would be fine for a 9m boat, although the 4kw version isn't much more money (about £100). If you plan to stay onboard it's worth considering the "comfort" controller, as this has a 7 day timer built in. I would buy one from www.autoterm.store Very good quality kit, i'm happy to fit these for customers and have one on my own boat, works great with the timer to warm it all up before we get out of bed.

No connection to Autoterm, just a satisfied customer.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
2kw would be fine for a 9m boat, although the 4kw version isn't much more money (about £100). If you plan to stay onboard it's worth considering the "comfort" controller, as this has a 7 day timer built in. I would buy one from www.autoterm.store Very good quality kit, i'm happy to fit these for customers and have one on my own boat, works great with the timer to warm it all up before we get out of bed.

No connection to Autoterm, just a satisfied customer.
I was going to have a go at fitting it. as hence why im leaving a marina, cannot afford to stay there for now so trying to spend as little as possible without going the chinese tat route. how much is your rate to fit. i was thinking about putting the heater in the cockpit locker and have one with its individual fuel tank. the autoterm website seems to be at least £100 more than elsewhere and this would bring the final cost with other parts for what the marina would cost on top of the YC fees

prestomg27

Visit site

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I suspect it comes down to what happens if either go wrong. You will quickly forget the couple of hundred quid difference. Who you gonna call whwn it goes wrong? You won't forget that.
Absolutely right. I have sat with my son Owen, Technical Director of Autoterm, on Xmas day and many other occasions while he answered queries about heater installations. Unmatched support.

No suggestion that the heater itself is problematic. 99% of problems are due to fuel or installation.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Crinan12

Visit site
Love my 2kw planar. Gets my 9m boat nice and warm after being on for 5 minutes and uses hardly any fuel. I got very prompt and helpful advice from Owen when installing mine.

Poey50

Visit site
I installed a 4kw Planar on our 9.5m boat and because of some routing problems for the vents it it overheated and I changed it for the 2kw version. A massive improvement as it was noticeably quieter. When the 4 kWh was working (only when the conditions were very cold) it was on a minimal setting which may not be good for sooting. The 2kw has to work a bit harder. Once I insulated the vent it was incredibly efficient and it is rare to keep it on for a whole evening without the boat getting too warm. It has been faultless for 5 years.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
I'd go for the next size (4 or 5 kw).

With the right controller it senses the room temperature at the controller and, once the desired temp is set, will adjust the performance to give you a fast heat-up, then reduce as it gets close to the desired.
By this you get less noise and a technically smarter operation as it prevents repeated stops/starts, saving start-up procedure power consumption (running of the glow-plug draws some 10 amps) and keeping the glow-plug alive for longer (each glow-up takes it's toll).

As mentioned you must install combustion air intake, exhaust, cold air intake, hot-air ducting etc. as per the instructions to ensure perfect operation. Restrictions will prevent the heater from getting rid of the heat, causing it to overheat.

And this is regardless of make!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
As per post #11, fitting an oversized heater can cause issues with the heater sooting up, it needs to run flat sometimes to minimise sooting.

2kw on a 9.5m boat is just right. Be sure to lag all of the ducting or you'll waste lots of heat by heating lockers etc.

I have the 4kw version on a 45ft motor boat, at this time of the year it's keeping the boat nice and warm (currently 21.4c). All but one vent is on the lower deck, cabins, galley, dinette and heads, so most of the heat in the saloon is convection from below. If/when it gets really cold we have a 4kw Webasto that only heats the saloon and cockpit (we keep the cockpit vent closed). This only needs to be on for a short while or on a low setting.

When i bought the boat the lower levels were heated by a 5.5kw Webasto, it worked well but i wanted a timer controller for it, the cost for the timer was almost half the price of a new Planar.

Again. no connection to Planar.

B27

Visit site
I have a 5kW Chinaspacher on a 27ft boat. It's pretty effective. I tend to run it at full chat now and then for 20 minutes with some hatches open a bit. Run it for long-ish periods at low setting. Helps dry everything. 2kW would be fine with less ventilation. I'm not aware of any soot problems.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
i dont know whether to go for the 2kw or 4kw still, will just heat the main cabin for now and maybe upgrade to another duct for the v birth a later date. trying to save money too.
Also looking at getting a separate fuel tank as dont want to tap into the boats tank.

do i need this also-

1700426472174.png

is this cheaper elswhere?

1700426519019.png

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
many thanks all, i went for the 4kw, one port for now, may increase ports later in the year. Gone for the basic controller too for and will lookout for deals on the comfort controller.

what sealant do i need for the skin fitting?

The mounting bracket. i'm looking at installing the heater in the cockpit locker, could i just epoxy some wood to the hull inside the locker?