what is this?

stella1412

Visit site
Hi all

I'm afraid I don't have a pic, but hoping you can help anyway. We bought our very first boat in January, a 1994 Hardy Seawings 277. We have just started going out in it a couple of weeks ago, and so far so good. It's all very new to us! The boat did not come with a manual saying what all the various bits in the boat are, and we are learning as we go along, as well as with the help of the guy who did our 2 day training course. On the floor at the back of the boat (excuse my terminology), there is a hole. There is water in this hole - clear water, not right up to the top, and we don't know what it is. Perhaps an indicator to monitor the domestic water level? but we have a gauge on the dashboard to monitor the level. We have checked and there is no water in the engine area or where the seacocks are - everything seems fine, but we are a little concerned just in case it is something we should be concerned about. Apologies if this is a really stupid question and you are all laughing at me now! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stella

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

stella1412

Visit site
Thank you for your reply. The part of the floor where the hole is cannot be lifted up. We have lifted up every part of the floor that can be lifted up and it is completely dry.

Stella

stella1412

Visit site
sorry to sound stupid, but when you say 'heads' is it something I need to be worried about? The seacocks are closed and and there is very little water in the toilet. The lever by the toilet is pushed back ie closed so that the toliet cannot be flushed. Do you think the water in the hole indicates something sinister or that I need to do something?

Thanks

Stella

Dipper

Visit site
I don't know about motor boats but if it was a yacht it would be a cockpit drain. The water would be at the same level as the sea.

stella1412

Visit site
Thank you, the level would be about the same as the sea. So is that normal then? what is a cockpit drain? and how does it work.

feeling really silly, but grateful for your replies!

Stella

enterprise

Visit site
If you dry it up/pump it out does it refill to the same level?

If you tip water into it does it fill up ?

Is it salt water or rain water?

Could be a cockpit drain that has a slight backfall from the skin fitting or could be a socket for a table support.
Hope you find out soon the suspense is killing me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dipper

Visit site
If you have an outside area such as a cockpit which is exposed to the elements , then rainwater and seawater (from splashing etc) has to drain out somewhere. Sometimes the water goes out through gaps in the sides (scuppers) or through a drain(s) in the floor. Yachts have very exposed cockpits (where we sit and try to enjoy ourselves whilst steering the boat in rough seas and gale force winds!) so these drains are essential. My boat has 3 of these. I don't know if your boat will have any or not - I shouldn't really be on this forum as I have a sailing yacht. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

discovery2

Visit site
Just a guess....
Is the hole about 50-60mm diameter?
Could it be a socket to take the saloon table and pedestal to place the table in the cockpit?

stella1412

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

I think we can rule out it being a socket for a table leg. We know where they are and have had the table up a couple of times.

The hole is in the floor of the cockpit area, towards the back on left hand side.It is in front of a small fridge. It is clear water, but I do not know if it is salty, and we haven't done anything to empty the water - which doesn't quite come up to the top of the hole. The boat has a cover so has not been exposed to the elements in our absence, and we have only taken it out on nice days! I will take a pic next time we are are on the boat, and also try and see what happens if we are able to take the water out.

Really appreciate your replies,

Stella

D

Deleted User YDKXO

This really is a mystery question. What are the dimensions of the hole ie. how deep, what diameter? What is the hole made of ie fibreglass, stainless steel or what? And just to confirm, it is in the aft deck ie the floor you can see when you're standing in the boat and not in the bilges by the engine?

stella1412

Visit site
Hi Mike

The hole is about 4cm diameter, it seems to be made of the same material as the floor ie. fibreglass, I was wondering about the cockpit drain suggestion, but if it is a drain, why is it full of water??? do motor boats usually have cockpit drains?

and yes it is in part of the floor that you walk on, in the rear of the cockpit. most of the floor has carpet, but not the bit where the hole is.

will definitely take a photo when we are next there!

Stella

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Sounds very much like a cockpit drain particularly if its in a corner. Could be that the grating on top has gone missing which is probably why it's got blocked with gunge and the water is'nt draining away. The pipe from the hole is usually curved to a outlet in the side of the hull. Try poking down the hole with something bendy and see if you can dislodge the blockage

discovery2

Visit site
Another thought.....
Does yout boat have twin engines with shafts?
If so, could it be a socket for an emergency steering arrangement?

stella1412

Visit site
you know what??? I think you are right!! In the toilet room (heads, i must get used to this terminology!!) there is something which resembles a tea strainer without a handle- it's been lying on a shelf and we didn't know what is was for, but I bet it fits in the hole in the floor in the cockpit and as you say - because it is not in the right place, the hole has got blocked and is not draining properly.

Will try it when i'm next at the boat but it sounds like you have hit the nail on the head!

Thank you!

Stella