What Grease

Sailfree

Visit site
Just got a new grease gun to grease prop but its large capacity.

Thinking of whether there is any problem using high melting point Lithium grease as I have a very large tin of that. Previously used white coloured marine grease but always seems to have "washed" out by the time of annual maintenance - actually wondering if LM grease might not be better.

Any thoughts?

VicS

Visit site
Just got a new grease gun to grease prop but its large capacity.

Thinking of whether there is any problem using high melting point Lithium grease as I have a very large tin of that. Previously used white coloured marine grease but always seems to have "washed" out by the time of annual maintenance - actually wondering if LM grease might not be better.

Any thoughts?
Your white grease is suitable for for use in seacocks, stern glands and steering glands and other situations where grease is regularly replaced.

grease which washes out easily is no use in applications where it cannot be rplaced frequently

LM is said to be resistant to water washout so may be better

A much better choice is probably Ramonol Advanced grease Ramonol Advanced - available from Gruebb Ltd.

If your prop needs grease in a gun because it has a grease nipple buy a small gun for the Ramonol Advanced. Put a general purpose grease in your big grease gun. Use LM for your car wheel bearings and general use on the car.

VicS

Visit site
Old Harry - Its a German Variprop.
The servicing instructions tell you to avoid regular white ( stern tube ) grease

The VARIPROP needs to be greased a minimum of once a year. The VARIPROP body should always be completely filled with a high viscosity grease of a hydrophobic nature. Remove the cap screw (5) and screw in the lubricating nipple which is supplied with the tools. Further remove the zinc anode! With each pump of the grease gun rotate the propeller from forward stop to reverse stop to allow the grease to work through the propeller. Stop to pump when enough grease comes out of the anode drill holes on top of the prop (Fig.1A). Fig.1A​
Factory supplied special grease EP/SAL is recommended and available from your VARIPROP distributor. Avoid regular white grease (sterntube-grease ) !​
Shock-absorber: The integrated shock-absorber reduces unpleasant operating noises. The pitch stops are substantially protected against wear. At rotating the blades by hand, you can feel the shock-absorber function. This “heavy” turning at the absorber area is normal and necessary for the function !​
Make sure that you always keep the zinc anode in good condition. The Variprop must be protected by a lot of zinc, so also use a zinc anode onto the shaft if possible. Use fine sandpaper to clean the aft of the end boss and the forward face of the Variprop-anode to give the zinc good contact with the propeller.​

Sailfree

Visit site
Thanks VIc. Just got the same recommendation from an old thread.

Thinking about it I think LM grease might not be good for the seals that might be rubber.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I have the same prop and ended up buying the factory supplied grease from the agent. It was expensive - £30+ IIRC - but nowhere near as expensive as the prop, which I would not be able to afford to replace.

The annual cost of the grease is dwarfed by the £50+ (IIRC) for the anode.

I'm gradually getting through the grease though, and would be interested to know of a replacement I could be confident was suitable and as effective.

VicS

Visit site
You got me there! I have been googling for about an hour with no success. I found that EAL is used for marine grease specs, meaning 'environmentally acceptable lubricant' but SAL, no. Could it be the German language equivalent?
Likewise.

I have found SAL and EAL used for different greases on the same German company website so dont think SAL is the German equivalent of EAL
I wonder if it refers to its resistance to salt water.

macd

Visit site
Likewise.

I have found SAL and EAL used for different greases on the same German company website so dont think SAL is the German equivalent of EAL
I wonder if it refers to its resistance to salt water.
That seems possible. Most, if not all of the "SAL" oils I could find (and there weren't many) specifically claimed salt water resistance.