What fuel do you cook with?

What fuel do you cook with on your boat?

• Gas

Votes: 123 71.9%
  • Spirit

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • Diesel

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Paraffin

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Electricity

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other/no cooking on board

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
It's commonly a small boat thing. Plenty of those around.

In our case it's a gas locker thing. The smaller boat has gas but the other one has meths. Both small boats though, the bigger one is 26'

Yer AWB will have gas fitted from new with a suitable locker. The Centaur MAB started life with a 2 burner camping stove with the gaz bottle suspended underneath it AFAIK, no chance of that being acceptable these days.

greenalien

Visit site
Gas plus microwave. The microwave is very good for heating soup, pies, pasties and ready-meals - drop sails, start engine, start microwave, motor to anchorage/mooring - by the time you've parked the boat, there's hot food waiting.

yahoo.co.uk
I ticked diesel so there are now 3 of us lonely people who dare to do such risqué things. Spend loads of hard earned cash on lovely diesel appliance and forget about gas costs and paranoia for ever, no dodgy fumes in the boat, fully exhausted. I never owned up to her indoors as to the actual appliance cost but she loves working with it, I love it as it is so homely and great for warming the place up. Tend to leave hob on low heat during day unless very hot weather so always ready for kettle. Never missed a beat in 5 years of very regular use. Love my Wallas

Rock Dodger

Visit site
Removed a paraffin cooker and replaced with gas on my boat two weeks ago. Gas much easier with novices on board. No flame failure device on paraffin and plumes of black smoke leaving soot on the headlining much less likely. Delivered a yacht with a paraffin cooker on board once, got used to the smell but noticeable on my clothing when I opened the bag on arriving home.

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Removed a paraffin cooker and replaced with gas on my boat two weeks ago. Gas much easier with novices on board. No flame failure device on paraffin and plumes of black smoke leaving soot on the headlining much less likely. Delivered a yacht with a paraffin cooker on board once, got used to the smell but noticeable on my clothing when I opened the bag on arriving home.

I use odourless paraffin.

geem

Visit site
We use a see through LPG bottle. £11 for 18 litres. Fill at garage or LPG place. You can see when it's getting low so take home and fill

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We use a see through LPG bottle. £11 for 18 litres. Fill at garage or LPG place. You can see when it's getting low so take home and fill

Do you have a link for the container please? The practice you describe is technically illegal in UK and probably many other countries but it's one I could well find useful.

chal

Visit site
It's a swing mooring thing too. A lot easier to row out with a litre of Alcool Brulee in each pocket than a gas bottle.

In our case it's a gas locker thing.

+1 to both

Our medium sized MAB is on a swinging mooring. When we bought her, the gas bottle was "interestingly" sited in the bottom of a galley cupboard, must have been at least a foot from the flame. Constructing any kind of gas locker would be a huge job, leaving the bottles on deck would be ugly and a trip hazard, and lugging them out there in the tender a pain. Given the cost of an Origo (and we went for the half price copy one) and the simplicity of fitting, it was all a no-brainer really.

It is slow, but we're on holiday anyway if we are on the boat, so while our morning coffee water boils we just think about how much time, effort and money we saved; other times, we just start a bit sooner.

We'd really like to fit a diesel cooker and then just have one fuel for everything, but that will have to wait till funds allow.