What experience made you think about giving up sailing ?

Tintin

Visit site
Sadly, and not by choice, my enjoyable sailing is probably over at 56.

What I mean by enjoyable is solo, or when it's a bit rough.

A bad left shoulder dislocation, 3 of the 4 rotator cuffs busted beyond repair, and a knackered deltoid (rhat was repaired), means that in about 6 months I may be lucky to have 25% strength and mobility back, and a very unstable shoulder joint. Surgery was in May.

Really annoyed about it as sailing is my therapy. Boat is on the hard until next April and I'll see how things are then.

servus

Visit site
Sadly, and not by choice, my enjoyable sailing is probably over at 56.

What I mean by enjoyable is solo, or when it's a bit rough.

A bad left shoulder dislocation, 3 of the 4 rotator cuffs busted beyond repair, and a knackered deltoid (rhat was repaired), means that in about 6 months I may be lucky to have 25% strength and mobility back, and a very unstable shoulder joint. Surgery was in May.

Really annoyed about it as sailing is my therapy. Boat is on the hard until next April and I'll see how things are then.

Tintin,
Good rehab, a gymnastics programme and a positive mind should bring you to an acceptable level again. Easy to say for me ...
Do not despair see the possible positive development.
I had numerous sport injuries, quite a few required butchery. It never becomes like it was but what's going to be left is worth the effort.
Strenght, G.

veshengro

Visit site
" and start those strengthening exercises we're supposed to do to keep mobile in old age."

Do it! .. sensibly. There is nothing to lose. (y)

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Came fairly close with rheumatoid arthritis... But the drugs are good!
Excellent !
It's nice keep sailing if possible for many reasons.

Sailing often takes me out from my own comfort zone which is a good thing for me as I feel that I'm still growing. Not too much though 😅

Lucky Duck

Visit site
I’ve noted what seems to be a general drop in the a drop in the number of visitors berths available compared with, say, five years ago;

Dedicated visitor pontoons now occupied by permanent or semi permanent berth holders (East Cowes, Bucklers Hard, Littlehampton & Poole)

Given over to ‘lodges’ (Yarmouth)

Also the filling of residents berths with versadocks or chalets means that the spaces aren’t available the way they would be otherwise

As an minor update, it appears Littlehampton have given over another section to a resident boat - this time an ex-RNLI Arun class lifeboat - as depths reduce as the pontoon extends Northwards there now isn't much pontoon space left for boats with a deeper draft.

Ironically there is a sign advertising that they have vacant permanent berths.