What Chartplotter

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
So, I'm renovating this old Ron Holland prototype, simple beautiful lines, but I digress. I'm replacing all the systems on board and I'm undecided on my choice of electronics. I sort of decided on Simrad as they have a terrific AIS VHF and a tiller pilot, but I like Garmis as I am used to it having been on my last two boats, but Garmin doesn't offer a tiller pilot. I'm not interested in fishing but would like all the bits to talk to each other.
Any ideas?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
So, I'm renovating this old Ron Holland prototype, simple beautiful lines, but I digress. I'm replacing all the systems on board and I'm undecided on my choice of electronics. I sort of decided on Simrad as they have a terrific AIS VHF and a tiller pilot, but I like Garmis as I am used to it having been on my last two boats, but Garmin doesn't offer a tiller pilot. I'm not interested in fishing but would like all the bits to talk to each other.
Any ideas?

You fit a Garmin system with a Simrad or Raymarine tiller pilot. My electronics are all Garmin, on a N2K network, except for a Simrad wheel pilot, which is integrated into the system using NMEA 0183, it steers to compass, waypoint or wind. The same would be true if it was a Raymarine wheel/tiller pilot. The only missing feature with having a different make of auto pilot to the plotter/MFD is that you cannot engage/disengage the AP from the MFD.

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
Thanks, makes sense and that was the advice from the guy helping me with the rewiring. Good to hear a second opinion supporting the guy who's charging me for the supply of equipment.
PS The supply can do Simrad, Garmin or Raymarine so no axe to grind, unless of course he's on a sales drive for an overseas conference.

richardbrennan

Visit site
I have a Raymarine tiller pilot, instruments and radar, a Garmin plotter, an Icom radio and a Digital Yacht AIS. They all talk to each other without problems.

Norman_E

Visit site
I have a B&G vulcan plotter and find it great, just wish I had bought the 12" rather than the 9"
Simrad and B&G make similar plotters, but the Simrad one is more oriented towards motorboats than yachts, wheras the B&G units feature Sailsteer. If you have or are installing an NMEA2000 system go for a B&G chartplotter, size dictated by space and wallet. I only had space at the helm for a Vulcan 7 which is still good.

vic008

Visit site
I bought the Simrad cruise chartplotter, because was told it has minimal fishing features. The average chartplotter seems oriented to the fishermen.And I never fish so wasted on me.

lustyd

Visit site
Simrad and B&G make similar plotters, but the Simrad one is more oriented towards motorboats than yachts, wheras the B&G units feature Sailsteer. If you have or are installing an NMEA2000 system go for a B&G chartplotter, size dictated by space and wallet. I only had space at the helm for a Vulcan 7 which is still good.
Are they actually different software then? I assumed they all got one software and just used the branding to address each market. Does the simrad not have the option to switch on sailsteer etc?

jwfrary

Visit site
Are they actually different software then? I assumed they all got one software and just used the branding to address each market. Does the simrad not have the option to switch on sailsteer etc?

No sail steer on the simrad. And the look and feel is slightly different.

Friends got a Vulcan 7 which I very good. I have older raymarine lighthouse 2 stuff which I won’t change until it breaks!

lustyd

Visit site
Yes I have the Vulcan 9 which is great, although I'm having trouble recording tracks (troubleshooting every month or so when visits are allowed is slow going!).

paulajayne

Visit site
I have a B&G vulcan plotter and find it great, just wish I had bought the 12" rather than the 9"
Get the B and G wifi unit and then put their app on a tablet it will mimic all the controls.

WiFi-1 Module | Wireless | B&G Sailing Electronics

I use a Samsung 18.4 inch tablet with mine and it works well. The app works on phones as well so can be monitored from anywhere.

Pic from install so a bit messy.

20181213_180519.jpg

lustyd

Visit site
yup, just set up the wifi on the plotter and connect as usual. I've now got mine connected to the boat wifi and that works too, but I used it standalone before I installed the wifi on board. The only difference is that now it downloads the weather as soon as it's switched on :)

paulajayne

Visit site
yup, just set up the wifi on the plotter and connect as usual. I've now got mine connected to the boat wifi and that works too, but I used it standalone before I installed the wifi on board. The only difference is that now it downloads the weather as soon as it's switched on :)

Every day is a learning day. Thanks

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Wifi connectivity and tablet/phone app's are not exclusive to B&G or Simrad, Garmin and Raymarine both have them too. All of the app's offer similar functionality and the charts are free. I do find the Raymarine one very clunky compared to the Garmin app', especially the initial setup.

38mess

Visit site
I have had a standard horizon chart plotter on my boat for the last 15 years, same one, it's in use almost every day. The only issue now is the screen is starting to get a bit dulled from the sun think. I would get another one when this one dies

Never Grumble

Visit site
I have had a standard horizon chart plotter on my boat for the last 15 years, same one, it's in use almost every day. The only issue now is the screen is starting to get a bit dulled from the sun think. I would get another one when this one dies
they don't make them new any more and the two second hand ones I have both have water damage