What boat would you pick...

Kelpie

Visit site
Disclaimer: this is almost entirely hypothetical. I have neither the inclination nor budget to change boat at the moment. But it's fun to think ahead a little.

The brief: big enough for a couple with one guest cabin. Full time bluewater liveaboard. Relatively limited budget (say £50k but given this is hypothetical, could extend that, but not up to anything eyewatering).

Our current boat is a tubby old thing, 39ft Moody from 1978, and has more than enough space for three, with decent trade winds sailing performance. We'll probably keep her once the cabin boy has flown the nest, but if we don't, the next boat should be:
- smaller, in the region of 34-35ft.
- nicer/newer (more wood, less formica!)
- better in light airs
- better under sail in general. Good cockpit layout, quality deck hardware.

Ideally I'm looking for something that is fun to chuck around under sail, like a big dinghy. Lower freeboard for easier picking up moorings under sail. Very open to the idea of a tiller.

Over to the panel...

Tranona

Visit site
Buying in today's market with that budget you are looking at performance cruisers from the 1980s. Typhoon already mentioned, Sigma 36, Starlight 35 also spring to mind. Jeanneaus such as the Sunfizz from the era also worth looking at.

Performing more dinghy like, low freeboard and tiller steering very limiting and invariably result in loss of accommodation. See Mystery 35 which has those characteristics but would fail on the couple plus guest cabin (and on budget).

Think you have to accept that if you want the accommodation and offshore capability in that budget you are limited to the more performance orientated cruiser racers of the period. Up the budget and you have access to a wider range of boats such as those from Scandinavia such as Sweden Yachts, Arcona, X Boats, Maxis.

Of course by the time your lad escapes the world will be very different.

Concerto

Visit site
That had crossed my mind. Everybody raves about the Fulmar, which I think would be a bit small, so the Typhoon could fit the bill.
I have a Fulmar and would have loved to have bought a Typhoon for similar reasons. They are quite rare boats as only 40 were built. The same hull was used for the Regatta 37, 8 built, and Ocean 37, 2 built. Ed Dubois designed a fast sailing hull, not distorted by increased volume for accomodation.

As Tranona mentioned so other possible boats. Personally the Mystery 35 has very little more accomodation than my Fulmar, but I hated the long sweeping tiller that made the helmsman sit towards the front of the cockpit. Hence why I bought a Fulmar.

Another older boat that would also suit is the Trapper 700.
Trapper 700 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

Supertramp

Visit site
A difficult choice - Sigma 36 and similar era boats sail wonderfully but lose out on accommodation. I would think anything 35ft long would feel cramped after your Moody. Except perhaps a catamaran but not sure that's the sailing you want. How many days are you aboard without sailing versus sailing days?

I would get some light weather sails (gennaker on short bowsprit) and if that wasn't enough find a sailing dinghy you can fit on board.

Of corse you may already have these.....

Kelpie

Visit site
35ft is by no means a hard and fast limit.
I'm thinking more along the lines of the racier AWB types, than the older/heavier more traditional designs.
And as Tranona pointed out, because this would be some way in the future, I would probably be thinking about more expensive boats which will have dropped in value by then.

What about one of the J boats? They look fun.

Kelpie

Visit site
A difficult choice - Sigma 36 and similar era boats sail wonderfully but lose out on accommodation. I would think anything 35ft long would feel cramped after your Moody. Except perhaps a catamaran but not sure that's the sailing you want. How many days are you aboard without sailing versus sailing days?

I would get some light weather sails (gennaker on short bowsprit) and if that wasn't enough find a sailing dinghy you can fit on board.

Of corse you may already have these.....
I agree, if and when we come to downsize it might be harder to stomach than I think.

We do already have a sailing dinghy onboard which is fantastic. Lets me get my 'fix' but it's also a great tender.

Tranona

Visit site
35ft is by no means a hard and fast limit.
I'm thinking more along the lines of the racier AWB types, than the older/heavier more traditional designs.
And as Tranona pointed out, because this would be some way in the future, I would probably be thinking about more expensive boats which will have dropped in value by then.

What about one of the J boats? They look fun.
As you have no doubt seen there are more light displacement performance boats being used for cruising now, particularly by the French. Patrick Laine is worth watching as he has gone from a big Bavaria via a couple of other smaller French boats to an RM 970 30' having done a delivery trip in a larger 1270 which averaged nearly 9 knots across Biscay. Not as extreme as Pogos but far more lively than many boats in their size range. They have made 35' versions which would fit your criteria. However expensive boats and doubt they would get down to the equivalent of £50k in 10 or 15 years time and scarcity (few built) will make them difficult to find.

Probably better luck with the sportier end of the Beneteau and Jeanneau plus such makes as Dehler and Elan from the early 2000s which are more plentiful and should come down into the same price bracket as the current Sigmas etc. mind you many will likely be knackered by then!