What boat for the Fastnet Race?

doris

Visit site
If one was to buy a boat with the intention of entering the Fastnet next year, with a view to getting a reasonable result in a class, what would it be? Qualifying races will also need to be completed.

Something light and quick, with basic accommodation? Or heavy, more sea kindly, and comfortable for staying aboard? What other criteria should be taken into account?

Assume a budget of £100k for purchase and race preparation, so some compromises required.

I thought the next Fastnet was 2017 not next year but I always get these things wrong!
There is definitely a Solo Fastnet next July for which a Sunfast 3200 wold be perfect. Is that the one you are aiming at?

edit: whoops! Must look at dates before I post.

Last edited:

Sybarite

Visit site
That seems like a lot of boat for the money - I suppose the mooring fees put people off.

When it came out, it was being advertised as a 65 footer for the price of a 40 footer. It's a bit plasticky Inside but it is very fast. One set out on a mistral to break the average time of the ferry from Marseille to Corsica. It hit speeds of 27 knots and was well ahead of schedule when the wind went away.

Last edited:

Dino

Visit site
Interesting thread and lots of the boats mentioned are very competitive in IRC. Having done a number of 3 to 6 days offshore races and having won the Fastnet overall in 2007 (as crew not owner), all I can say is that there is a huge amount of luck involved. One missed tidal gate, the wrong side of one shift, a blown out kite, fouling a lobster pot, are only a few examples of what can go wrong. Many people think that driving the boat as hard as possible is the way to win but there are times when it pays to be conservative. In 2007 our weather routing told us that that we would get a big shift coming to the rock. Initially it was thought we would have 3 or 4 hours beating to get to the Rock. We pushed hard across the Celtic Sea and only got the wind shift 5 miles from the Rock. We knew it was coming so we were well positioned. We go around the Rock and the Pantaenius Bouy in 12-15 knots of breeze and very soon after saw 30-35 knots of breeze with the big kite up at 2am. We peeled to the fractional heavy kite and did the Fastnet to the Scilly Isles in 10 hours. 18 knot average. Not bad for a 50 footer. That just shows how everything lined up perfectly for us. The smaller boats had a much longer beat and the bigger boats had less downwind after rounding.
Some of the boats mentioned are very competitive but you need to buy the best prepared and equipped one available and get lots of training and races in in advance. I think the Beneteau 40.7, Sigma 400 and J35/39 are all good older boats that have good age allowances and are competitive offshore. The J109 and J120 may also be worth a look. You'll need to plan a good sail wardrobe if you want to be competitive. In 2007 a lot of boats retired because their sails weren't up to the job. Mainsails were a big issue as most boats had inshore spec mains. A bulletproof heavy kite with small shoulders is always invaluable. You'll also need to consider things like staysails, jib tops and a code zero if you want to be competitive.
Overall, I think it's vital to build a good consistent team. A load of good trimmers are useless without a good cook, mechanic/fixer, medic or someone who will go up the rig in any conditions. You need good all-rounders and team players. There are no set positions on an offshore boat, everyone should be able to do every job.
Enjoy it...