What Adhesive For "U" PVC Fender Strip on Dinghy Edge?

Habebty

Visit site
I am refurbishing a fibreglass tender and need to fit some new U shaped fender strip on the top lip of the hull. Can anyone recommend a strong adhesive (PVC "rubber" to fibreglass) suitable for this?

Thanks

VicS

Visit site
3M 5200 is a polyurethane adhesive sealant similar to Sikaflex 291i and Puraflex 40 (PU 40) which you will find for fewer beer tokens in Toolstation.
They should all adhere well to PVC and GRP.

Last edited:

JFowler

Visit site
If you look at the technical data I think you’ll find the adhesion properties of 3M 5200 are significantly better than the other products mentioned. At least that was the case when I made the decision.
The bumper strip had for some time been loose- whatever BAV original used wasn’t fit for purpose, so I wanted a permanent solution.

Helidan

Visit site
If the strip is PVC then whatever adhesive you use you need to ensure you won't get plasticiser migration or it could fail.

Davy_S

Visit site
I am refurbishing a fibreglass tender and need to fit some new U shaped fender strip on the top lip of the hull. Can anyone recommend a strong adhesive (PVC "rubber" to fibreglass) suitable for this?

Thanks
If the u shaped rubber fender is going all the way around the gunnel, it is not normally stuck down, you put it in a bucket of boiling water and quickly stretch it around the hull, it is then fastened with clips at the transom edges, all the small type fishing boats are fitted like that when new.

Habebty

Visit site
If the u shaped rubber fender is going all the way around the gunnel, it is not normally stuck down, you put it in a bucket of boiling water and quickly stretch it around the hull, it is then fastened with clips at the transom edges, all the small type fishing boats are fitted like that when new.
Now that makes sense.

OCuea

Visit site
That sounds clever. I was going to mention pop rivets but won’t now

Helidan

Visit site
Could you explain that please?
Sure, there are essentially 2 types of PVC - rigid (the windows on your house) and flexible (inflatable boats, paddling pools etc.). Plasticiser is used to make PVC flexible but some adhesives can cause the plasticiser to leech out potentially causing problems. You therefore need to ensure adhesive compatibility with the material.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Sure, there are essentially 2 types of PVC - rigid (the windows on your house) and flexible (inflatable boats, paddling pools etc.). Plasticiser is used to make PVC flexible but some adhesives can cause the plasticiser to leech out potentially causing problems. You therefore need to ensure adhesive compatibility with the material.

Migration of plasticiser is generally what causes the breakdown of foam backed cabin liners. The adhesive supplied by Hawke House is specifically made to reduce this problem.

Other threads that may be of interest