Weymouth harbour taking the P***

Sticky Fingers

Visit site

Ammonite

Visit site
The UK marinas aren’t run for the financial benefit of their users. The owning companies all want to make as much profit as possible, so pricing will be pushed as far as they feel they can take it. May well be different in Europe, especially France perhaps, but I’m thinking not.
I'm not sure the non-for-profit ones are either given they charge the same rates...

"Yarmouth Harbour Commissioners work to maintain and enhance the not-for-profit harbour as a viable Trust Port, bringing trade and tourism to the Isle of Wight whilst preserving the character and charm of the surroundings and ensuring the long-term future of the harbour and Western Yar Estuary"

jac

Visit site
I thought shipping companies paid the pilots....
IIRC Shipping companies pay FOR the pilots but some are employed by harbours and some are self employed. They are all entitled to be members of pension schemes.

From memory, there was a deficit on their DB pension scheme so their employers ( i.e. harbours) had to pay in more.

ashtead

Visit site
Many final salary schemes (db schemes) underfunded for variety of reasons eg actuarial return calculations but also due to government raids plus historic limits on companies paying in as this reduced the corp tax paid. Many schemes now adopting a policy purchase option to move the final salary scheme risk away but this might all end in tears if the reinsurance vehicles collapse . Final salary scheme buyouts currently find great favour though for corporates .

lustyd

Visit site
Every time you purchase something it is funding some pension scheme. Whether the schemes are worth it would be another discussion.
It's entirely different funding the national pension scheme through taxes or contributing to growth of a private pension fund by buying goods and services than directly paying for a final salary pension scheme that should never have been offered to a person whose only role is to take said money from me!

ylop

Visit site
Unfortunately this inflation is starting to have an effect on participation far wider than just boating. The social contract of "if you work you can get ahead" has been eroded to the point that quite a lot of people are choosing not to bother.
And a lot of people worked for a fairly long time, were strongly encouraged by various governments to make their own retirement provisions and are now deciding to make use of those - to the “upset” of the powers that be…. because living life in early retirement seems like a better plan than working! When the state effectively controlled retirement, they effectively controlled the workforce too… then they subcontracted out responsibility and eroded what little was left by moving women and younger people’s retirement ages…
but a lasagne for 2 at £14 in the supermarket feels like a mugging!
I can’t remember when I last bought a premade lasange but presumably that’s not the “going rate” but rather premium you pay for having selected a brand of supermarket that markets itself as being a little bit better than other. I’d expect you can get something for 1/4 of that price if you shop wisely. Of course some might say the same about £50 berthing fees!
With respect it’s not on me to fund someone else’s unrealistic pension scheme. I have my own retirement to worry about!

Every time you purchase something it is funding some pension scheme. Whether the schemes are worth it would be another discussion.
I think lustyd’s point is that if the costs of running a harbour are really heavily loaded on pilot’s pensions (which I doubt) then they should be borne by those who require pilots not by yacht men and women who only want somewhere to tie up.

lustyd

Visit site
I can’t remember when I last bought a premade lasange but presumably that’s not the “going rate” but rather premium you pay for having selected a brand of supermarket that markets itself as being a little bit better than other. I’d expect you can get something for 1/4 of that price if you shop wisely. Of course some might say the same about £50 berthing fees!
Asda
I think lustyd’s point is that if the costs of running a harbour are really heavily loaded on pilot’s pensions (which I doubt) then they should be borne by those who require pilots not by yacht men and women who only want somewhere to tie up.
Exactly this. I want to retire early with my private pension and savings, and paying for someone else to have a final salary pension when they have given me nothing in return is just sucking my funds for no good or fair reason

Daydream believer

Visit site
Last week I paid 481 euros for 21 days in Ostend for 9.45 M yacht
Which equates to £19.30 per night at current exchange rate of 1.19
I actually stopped 1 night extra & got that free as I left very early next day
That has to be about as cheap as anywhere on that coast for a longish stay.
Mind you the last meal my son & I had in the RNSYC(we had several such extravagances there) knocked me back 202 eu & that did not count the lunch which was another 78 eu. Although my son did not stay all the time I did dine in the club 5 days out of 7. So they got their money back in other ways :rolleyes: :cry:

Last edited:

Bobc

Visit site
Just arrived back at Le Sable d'Olonne and now we are in September, we are 40 Euros. (Inc. Leccy for 15m). That's about £32.50

SaltyC

Visit site
I was a little perturbed, not really surprised as all yacht owners are millionaires and to be exploited, to be asked for £7/ night for electricity!! £2550/ year, more than twice what I pay for dual fuel at home!! That was on top of £4/ metre. I didn't bother with electric.