Weymouth harbour taking the P***

stranded

Visit site
Morbihan marinas we visited, including Haliguen in Quiberon bay were max £50 a night in July and August for 13.4m - so pretty reasonable.

dunedin

Visit site
We have just returned from France we went as far as La Rochelle and for us most nights were around €55 but in Quiberon Bay (The Morbihan cartel) everywhere was €75-€80 per night, as you say that area is a large premium over the marinas both north and south of that area.

For us the Uk is a bit if a joke(£55 for a buoy in the Beaulieu this season) and we tend to anchor or gp tp places that are sensible like Salcombe, Dartmouth, Fowey, Malpas, or the folly.
Meaningless without saying your boat size. You choose to sail a massive boat which consequentially has fewer berths and buoys available.
Your choice.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
To give a more direct comparator to the OP’s boat size, Stargazer, at 9.5m, paid £27 in La Rochelle (for the Fete Maritime), £20 in Les Sables d’Olonne (as the New York -Vendée Race finished around us),£19 in Ile d’Yeu (where, as a renowned ‘honey pot’ one might expect to be fleeced) peaking at £31 in La Trinite (Morbihan). That’s when we weren’t welcomed free of charge, using our five ‘free’ Passeport Escales nights per port. (Totting up to 60+ ‘free’ nights, this, and most other, summers).
The cherry on top, of the French cruising cost cake, is Camping Gaz 907’s at £30 v’s the UK £45-50. Vive La France!

Last edited:

Bobc

Visit site
Morbihan marinas we visited, including Haliguen in Quiberon bay were max £50 a night in July and August for 13.4m - so pretty reasonable.
Most expensive I've seen this summer was just under 60 Euros in Le Sable D'Olonne, for 15m, so about £50. Most are about £40. This is including electric for a 50ft boat.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I wonder if uk bertholders are reaping what was sewn during the covid histrionics?
It's certainly gone up a lot. I'm paying more now partly because I have a bigger boat, but the annual berthing rate /metre has gone up too. For same length boat, up from £839/m to £1015/m per year, that's 21% in 4 years.

lustyd

Visit site
Unfortunately this inflation is starting to have an effect on participation far wider than just boating. The social contract of "if you work you can get ahead" has been eroded to the point that quite a lot of people are choosing not to bother.
It's not even that the cost of these berths has gone up, money is worth less than it was and is harder to get and keep than it was. For what it's worth, a night in a marina for £50 feels pricey, but a lasagne for 2 at £14 in the supermarket feels like a mugging!

Stemar

Visit site
It all depends on how you do it.

I pay fewer hundreds than most pay thousands for a club mooring, even allowing for the fact that I have to pay someone to maintain it. A 40-year-old boat has a relatively low capital cost, and DIYing most jobs like scrub & antifoul costs a fraction of paying someone to do it.

Of course, cheap and expensive are always relative. For the many people who struggle to pay the rent and buy food, my costs would feel enormous, just the same as the costs of someone who runs a new 40' mobo feel enormous to me.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
The boat we'd hit if we REALLY stuff up our pontoon entry /exit is up for sale for 60 times what we paid for ours - and filling the fuel tank from empty would cost close to 10% of the value of our little yacht.

Maybe it's not so expensive!

lustyd

Visit site
The boat we'd hit if we REALLY stuff up our pontoon entry /exit is up for sale for 60 times what we paid for ours - and filling the fuel tank from empty would cost close to 10% of the value of our little yacht.

Maybe it's not so expensive!
I once sat on a fifty something foot motorboat at SBS that had a 7500l fuel tank and asked what the range was. "300 miles sir" was the answer. I asked again what the range was if driven carefully on a full tank and the answer was "yes, 300 miles sir". I nearly fell off of the luxurious leather helm chair :ROFLMAO:

Seven Spades

Visit site
Meaningless without saying your boat size. You choose to sail a massive boat which consequentially has fewer berths and buoys available.
Your choice.
What are you talking about, it is just as relevant for someone here to quote prices for 9.5m, 12m or 16.5m. It is not the number that is important it is the difference between different areas. I cannot comment on the costs for a 12m yacht because I don't own one. But I can compare the relative costs on one place to another which is what I was doing.