Wet mooring

rich hand

Visit site
Can anyone give me their reasons on why they would not wet moor a small boat such as a bowrider on the sea?

I ask since I see very few bowriders wet moored.

Cheers

colingr

Visit site
Having watched a bowrider sink at a mooring in Poole harbour last year I can think of a reason or two.

Virtually all bowriders will drain water from the cockpit into the bilges so if the boat gets a bit of a rock on the water will slop into the cockpit, then into the bilge eventually sinking the boat. No bilge pump will cope with that.

Our last boat (a bowrider) took a large wave over the bow and we could well have gone the same way, which is why we have a cuddy now :)

dpb

Visit site
Assuming it is raw water cooled petrol, you won't be flushing it on the mooring, so the engine will likely succumb to the effects of corrosion in a relatively short space of time (3 years or so?)

rich hand

Visit site
2 Very good reasons. I would actually be going for a Cuddy now preferably with a fresh water cooled engine.

Last edited:

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Remember that bow riders were essentially designed for American lake work, something they do very well.

Great in a flat sea, but not good if you take a few waves over the bow.

You can 'wet moor' a bow rider, but you need a cover....and another boat to work from to put on the cover when on a mooring!