Wet and Forget

Croftie

Visit site
I have used it and think it's quite effective, don't expect immediate results but over time it does seem to reduce and hold back the growth of mould etc. I did a repeat application later in the season.

The Q

Visit site
Note, that's got a Very similar Coshh Report to patio Cleaner.
R36/38: Irritating to eyes and skin, R50: Very toxic to aquatic organisms S2: Keep out of reach of children, S24/24: Avoid contact with skin & eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice, S28: do not empty into drains, S46: If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show the container or label.

That being said I've used Patio cleaner on fenders (at home) and it was very good..

fred247

Visit site
I've used it for a few years now and think it's great, works well on the fibreglass and canopy, but I did have an issue with the plastic windows "which I can't particularly put down to W&F" but after one use the plastic went milky. so now has a precaution avoid getting it on the plastic.

SailingDog

Visit site
Started using W&F last season, as already said by Croftie, it's not immediate. The canvas products have become clean over time with no new verdigree, the fibreglass where W&F hasn't been applied has got new green grot.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
B&q's patio magic is the same stuff and much cheaper as there's no boat on the label, doff patio stuff from aldi was cheaper still with same active ingredients.
Been using the cheap stuff for a couple of years now, good stuff.
I dilute 1:4 with water and let it dry.

That is interesting as I have used patio Magic and it was I would say OK. I was not aware that this was effectively the same stuff

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
. . . and let it dry.
This is a key point. It has to stay in contact with the mould in order to work. So it's best to put it on when the canvas, woodwork of grp is dry and then make sure it's not washed off by rain for as long as the British weather forecast will allow.

The Aldi Dof stuff works brilliantly, but you won't find any in the local store round here as I buy it all each Spring.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I haven't looked at Wet and Forget but assume it will almost certainly contain Benzalkonium Chloride (BAC) or another Quat as the active ingredient. Just buy whatever is cheapest on basis of %BAC listed.

Benzalkonium Chloride is used for a wide range of things as it kills algae, bacteria and many viruses. I remember seeing a car parts place selling spray to destroy Covid virus on surfaces. It was stupidly expensive, possibly £12 and I diluted Patio Magic to the same concentration and put it in a spare spray bottle. I think it worked out at about 2p per 500mls.:D Same applies to many household surface cleaners stating they kill bacteria and many viruses. They are usually just pretty dilute BAC plus misc. surfactants and a little colouring. Ones for tackling heavy grease deposits are different.

You need to let products with BAC dry in and not get wet again for several hours. I've explained this to several people and that they don't need to scrub it into a teak deck. Just paint or spray, leave to dry and hose off in a couple of weeks.

Note that BAC doesn't clean dirty decks or material, you need to use something else to do that later if there's excessive dirt.

BAC is extremely toxic to aquatic life and not to be used around your pond full of prize carp. I usually apply it in the boatyard using a brush. Wastage is minimal and would become inactive pretty quickly when it meets any clay in the soil.

NOTE:
I had a quick look at Wet & Forget and it does contain the same active ingredient as Patio Magic. The datasheet quoted 1.65% and Patio Magic is 7.5%, making PM almost 5 times stronger.

I seem to remember getting a deal on Patio Magic and 5 litres cost about £11, I expect it's usually a lot more expensive. I dilute it and get about 20 litres at 1.9% from 5 litres of Patio Magic.

Wet & Forget works out at about £36 for 5 litres at 1.65% with no dilution. It would seem to be about 15 times the cost of Patio Magic at the price I paid, probably only 10 times at normal prices.

I've just checked Homebase and they sell Patio Magic at £22 for 5 litre or £25 for 10 litres. Pretty easy choice.

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
I would avoid spraying these products on the clear windows of the canopy . Mine are going milky in places. I am not sure which product to blame as I have used Doff and Patio Magic. The Doff stuff comes in two different concentrations so be aware when looking at prices.
I do use it on GRP side decks and exterior teak with success .

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I would avoid spraying these products on the clear windows of the canopy . Mine are going milky in places. I am not sure which product to blame as I have used Doff and Patio Magic. The Doff stuff comes in two different concentrations so be aware when looking at prices.
I do use it on GRP side decks and exterior teak with success .

That is a concern. Given that very often the worst of the green is below clear windows at the junction between the canvas and the clear it is very difficult to stop overspray. Especially if there is a little wind. Perhaps better to brush on

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Right then, I'm looking at a bottle of Wet & forget as I type.

It is 5 litres and stung me £20 from Costco. I actually split the bottle with a brother in law so we are into it for a tenner each.

The active ingredient is listed as Alkyl (C12-16) Dimethylbenzyl Ammonium Chloride 9.9% w/w

The instructions tell you to dilute 1 part product to 5 parts water so this will make 25 litres as used . @Mistroma is incorrect in quoting £36 for 5 litres at 1.65% with no dilution. Wet & Forget works out at 80 pence per litre as used.

I will reiterate @The Q 's comment that it lists as being "very toxic to aquatic life" so doesn't look as though it's suitable for use on a boat although I'm not a scientist. I'm guessing it eventually washes into the sea or river as your boat / canopies get rained on.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Just checked and currently Costco are listing it at £26.89 for 5 litres delivered (minimum 2 bottles). I don't know what the in store price is. They also say it dilutes to make 30 litres, as indeed does the label on my bottle. So it is about90 pence per litre as used when ordered on line and delivered, 70 pence per litre as bought by me.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Right then, I'm looking at a bottle of Wet & forget as I type.

It is 5 litres and stung me £20 from Costco. I actually split the bottle with a brother in law so we are into it for a tenner each.

The active ingredient is listed as Alkyl (C12-16) Dimethylbenzyl Ammonium Chloride 9.9% w/w

The instructions tell you to dilute 1 part product to 5 parts water so this will make 25 litres as used . @Mistroma is incorrect in quoting £36 for 5 litres at 1.65% with no dilution. Wet & Forget works out at 80 pence per litre as used.

I will reiterate @The Q 's comment that it lists as being "very toxic to aquatic life" so doesn't look as though it's suitable for use on a boat although I'm not a scientist. I'm guessing it eventually washes into the sea or river as your boat / canopies get rained on.

Interesting, that it says 9.9%w/w on the container. I found an Australian MSDS saying <10% and I thought that might be due to their legislation not requiring an exact number. I found another MSDS that actually stated 1.65% w/w. Perhaps that was a different variety (e.g. ready to use spray bottle). I might check again if I have time. Patio Magic still works out a lot cheaper but only about half the price.

Update: I've just checked and they do sell at least 2 varieties and I obviously found data for the ready to use version.

Wet & Forget Outdoor Concentrate 9.9%
https://www.wetandforget.com/downloads/SDS_USA_WetForget_Concentrate-10202020.pdf

Wet & Forget Outdoor Ready To Use 1.65%
https://www.wetandforget.com/downloads/SDS_USA_WetForget_Outdoor_RTU-10202020.pdf

Regarding toxicity: Yes, very toxic to aquatic organisms as I mentioned earlier. It is OK to use ashore with minimal runoff going into soil and that will inactivate it. I think the mechanism is likely to be initial attachment to particulates and then slower breakdown. I doubt there's much risk once it has dried in on a teak deck or sprayhood for several hours. I do avoid using excess as I'm stingy but also imagine it may have other adverse effects in addition to impact on aquatic life. I imagine it might help develop more resistant soil bacteria, dilute bactericides can have that effect.

Avoid using it near prize carp in a garden pond and stick to a boatyard where your more likely to find prize cr*p. :D

Last edited:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Interesting, that it says 9.9%w/w on the container. I found an Australian MSDS saying <10% and I thought that might be due to their legislation not requiring an exact number. I found another MSDS that actually stated 1.65% w/w. Perhaps that was a different variety (e.g. ready to use spray bottle). I might check again if I have time. Patio Magic still works out a lot cheaper but only about half the price.
I suspect 1.65% is diluted ready for use. 10% concentration diluted 1 part to 6 (as per the claimed 30 litres from a 5 litre bottle) would give 1.66%

Momac

Visit site
That is a concern. Given that very often the worst of the green is below clear windows at the junction between the canvas and the clear it is very difficult to stop overspray. Especially if there is a little wind. Perhaps better to brush on
This is exactly where I applied the stuff liberally by spray to kill the green and now I have a milky tide mark at the base of the windows.
But the green has not returned this winter
Brushing on sounds like a good plan.

Scubadoo

Visit site
This is exactly where I applied the stuff liberally by spray to kill the green and now I have a milky tide mark at the base of the windows.
But the green has not returned this winter
Brushing on sounds like a good plan.
I just use an old toothbrush along the plastic window join and then hose off, green comes off quite easily. For the canvas I have always used a brush to apply Patio magic which works well if dry for a few days.

FYI, Fabsil can cause the same issue if you use that.