Were you the PRAT - no thats too polite for you!

Rabbie

Visit site
Who departed Chichester entrance in a giant Sunseeker(?) at 1110 hrs Saturday 31st. You were going at a fair lick through the narrows, but when you powered up full throttle by the Lifeboat House, your wash endangered the occupants of at least three small fishing dinghies. Several other small vessels, including mine, were also given a really bad experience. The 'driver' and passenger on the fly-bridge did not look anywhere but ahead. Unfortunately, things happened too quick to get any identification of this offender. I am a frequent user of Chi harbour and am well used to bad manners afloat but this was the worst case of powerboat madness I have ever seen in 20 years. No wonder there is an ongoing Raggie/Stinkie 'war' with goons like you around. Your action was deliberate flaunting of harbour regulations and good seamanship and could have caused death or injury. If I can get just one message across to boat drivers it is this - simply have a good look around you in confined waters and consider other sailors. WATCH YOUR WAKE!.

<hr width=100% size=1>I believe we should all pay our mooring fees with a smile. I tried — but they wanted cash.

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Rabbie, please don't tar us all with the same brush. As regards a Raggie/Stinkie war, my eperience is more a friendly ribbing of each other.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

duncan

Visit site
Even in your own post you make reference to a proportion of those affected by this gentleman's behaviour as small fishing dingys - it is not a raggie/ stinkie issue. It is about consideration for other users; which is I think the key point of your post, and I support you wholeheartedly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well. I dont know who you think you are talking to but it's doubtfull whether he comes here. So that just leaves you...../forums/images/icons/frown.gif

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>It's flog a flag day.<font color=red> Today.<font color=blue>

Haydn

tcm

Visit site
Not me but I think i know the one. He later anchored at Juan les Pins, didn't use an anchor ball, played music at full blast untill we sed turn it down, then when the guests were watching his TV the crew pelted around between moored boats. But the distance must mean it can't be the same one - or do certain manufacturers put their customers thru special training?

<hr width=100% size=1>

[2068]

Visit site
May not be the same boat, but sometime after 12ish on Sat, a huge Sunseeker came in to try and find an a spot to anchor in Newtown creek, but failed (too crowded), and had to go elsewhere...

...chuckled slightly, because we were occupying about the only buoy he could have used with a Sealine 24, which we gave up to another boat with no anchor about 20 mins later.

Credit due tho, the skipper managed to pick his way around the boats fairly carefully without actually hitting anybody, which was one dent less than at least two other small misunderstandings that day. Never seen it so crowded !

<hr width=100% size=1>

HowardB

Visit site
Look elsewhere...

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment regarding ANY boat user being that inconsiderate and pig headed towards ANY other people afloat or ashore. I very much doubt that someone behaving like that would actually be sufficiently interested in boating to bother with a forum. They're probably more bothered with their ego and income. But the raggie/stinkie thing isn't THAT bad, and inconsiderate behaviour affects us all, and as ever it cuts both ways.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Wonder if that was the same Sunseeker that around mid-day on Sat gave 3 thirteen year old girls who had never been on a boat before a bad scare by hurtling very close by just off Calshott? Apart from this incident the girls really enjoyed the day out waving and shouting hello at everthing that moved .. most responded positively (including the driver of one of the Red Jets!!) apart from a a couple of very posh boats (including this giant Sunseeker) who obviously thought it was not the done thing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

gonfishing

Visit site
raggie/stinky

after my experience at the week end i have just as much respect for both raggies and stinkies and as it happens, when at seaand in trouble it was a raggie that made the first offer of help, other than that i agree with you that type of behaviour is beyond belief

julian

<hr width=100% size=1>WHAT??? more petrol!!!

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: raggie/stinky

when i was last down there the keel boats were the worst. tacking out a narrow busy channel when they could have got their motors on and waitined for the space.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>

Bejasus

Visit site
Had a similar experience on last Bank Hol Monday, when turning from the River Yare, at the Berney Inn, into the River Waveney at the end of the derestricted Breydon Water, a boat still on planing at around 25 knots passed us quite closely and our 25ft displacement boat just fell into his wash, throwing SWMBO on cockpit floor badly bruising her ankle and only just missing the gear lever with her head. I know this was technically still in the derestricted area controlled by GT.Yarmouth PA and not under river jurisdiction, but just because you can, does not mean you should just ignore everyone else around you. I am sure the guy doesn't come on here but his vessel was 'Shooting Star' and he moors at St.Olaves on the River Waveney in Norfolk.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00</A>

Rabbie

Visit site
Sorry to read of your experience. This is exactly the sort of thing that can happen with these idiots at the helm.
My post was not about highlighting the differences ('war' was perhaps not the best word!) between power and sail but simply that there are far too many power helmsmen/women who do not exercise due care when in congested waters - at least in Chichester Harbour and others in the Solent. Even the speed limit of 8 knots, IF adhered to, is too fast in many areas where small vessels are around. What irritates me and many fellow-raggies is that (I am not generalising here) so many powerboat helms seem totally unaware of the problems their wash creates for small craft. I posted here, not just for the prat referred to, but for a bit more consideration from powerboaters (present company accepted I hope) in confined waters. Once you are out past the bar - blast away and enjoy yourself, if that is your thing. Your speed in restricted waters could kill or maim others out for a quiet bit of enjoyment. Thats all I ask on behalf of the small guys. Is it too much?.
Rab.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Rabbie on 02/06/2003 20:45 (server time).</FONT></P>

Badger

Visit site
Rabbie,sorry but when you say the narrows and lifeboat house where do you mean ? Itchenor reach ? Chi Bar ? Chichester channel ? I am not being pedantic I just want to know to be clear about it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
The lifeboat house is just North of the Eastoke pile which marks the end of the 8kt speed limit. He should not have been going fast there.

I was coming back with No1 Moose on Friday night from a trip to Lymington. Just north of the North Cardinal buoy which marks the entrance to the Thorney Channel I saw a Large Fairline coming towards us outbound from Chichester, he was on the plane and doing at least 20 knots in an 8kt speed limit!!!!!!!! He passed us about 50 yards away without even thinking about slowing down and then passed 3 small yachts at a similar distance without slowing down. His wash was huge and caused stuff to fly around all over the place, I can't imagine what it would have been like for the 3 yachts. The boat was a Fairline Phantom 40 called "AZLEC" and I know the owner because he was berthed next to me for a few weeks, this is his first boat and he clearly doesn't have a clue. I will put a note in his cockpit expressing my feelings ASAP. I don't usually mind if someone wizzes past me but in the harbour is disgracefull.
<font color=red>Yours ANGRY MOOSE</font color=red>/forums/images/icons/mad.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

Rabbie

Visit site
Between Hayling Island SC and the RNLI Station.
It appears high time that the 8 knot limit was extended out to the bar beacon due to its restricted nature. I wonder who would police it anyway as speed limits in the harbour are flagrantly ignored by too many and prosecutions are negligible.

<hr width=100% size=1>I believe we should all pay our mooring fees with a smile. I tried — but they wanted cash.

Moose

Visit site
I don't agree with the 8kt speed limit being extended out to the Bar. It can be quite rough out to the Bar and at 8kt's I would be bobbing around like a cork, whereas at 15 knots with the bows down I would be far more stable and safer in that I wouldn't be pushed onto the beach so easily.

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

Evadne

Visit site

The worst ones were tacking out WITH their motors going but seemed to assume they had the same rights of way as those without. Things are getting so bad I have even started to use the proper cone so as not to be confused with these sorts.
I agree about selfishly tacking out of the harbour when it's as busy as that though, if it carries on we'll end up like Portsmouth where us raggies are supposed to motor in and out, even when it is quicker to sail.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

Actually you do'nt have to use your motor, you just need to have it switched on (if you've got one) to be available for use if need be .. which is often the case going in against an ebb when you lose the wind right at the narrowest bit in the entr.ance

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site

Tarred with same brush ?......2 x pocket rockets doing silly speeds inside limit on Medway last week.2 x Fairline Targas.Several complaints.Something about the type of owner attracted to this type of boat perchance.

<hr width=100% size=1>My little Princess/forums/images/icons/laugh.gifthe 33 of course.Shame its not just a bit bigger.