Well I've bought a Liveaboard - Roberts 42

tomski

Visit site
After a few unsuccessful viewings of various yachts it seems I bought a one that is a) within my budget b) big enough for liveaboard and c) has a style of its own...

She's a Bruce Roberts 42, definitely a diy build (as evident from the very strong but very average looking welding) and a total project but the good news is that its all there, has a newish engine + bits and pieces..

So starting a blog site soon so will let you know how it goes...but for now, research and build a plan of attack :)

sarabande

Visit site
Lots of them built and giving good service around the world. A good choice, and a brave one. Hope you have lots of spare time - good luck and have fun.

tomski

Visit site
the Bruce Roberts is very well known in Australia/NZ part of the world so I'm comfortable with the design, she's well known and proven with thousands of owners around the world...

As to the project, well as you say, its brave but I am an optimist :)....oh and I've created the blog site...here is the link...

http://enkiyacht.wordpress.com/

Will officially start on her from weekend after next so have a look through every now and then :)

phanakapan

Visit site
Congratulations! Nearly went for a Bruce Roberts ourselves.Your'e braver than us- we bought steel too but not quite so much of a project. However, our boat was also 'individual' therefore within our (lowish) budget, which meant we could liveaboard and go cruising sooner rather than later or never. Enjoy!

PaulJ

Visit site
'Good choice of design..... even better choice of material! I hope it takes you less than the eight years it took me...... Good luck and fair winds :)

tomski

Visit site
Thank you all for the encouraging words :)

8 years? Did you also buy a project? I surely hope I do it sooner then lol...my plan is only 6 months but then I will be getting external help with dedicated work for a couple of weeks at a time...hopefully sufficient but no dramas if it gets extended by a few months though my goal is to set off before next summer :)

PaulJ

Visit site
Thank you all for the encouraging words :)

8 years? Did you also buy a project? :)

No I didn't buy a "project" as such, it was a scratch build. I had the bare hull built by a yard in Gt. Yarmouth and it took me that long to fit it out and finish it off..... but I did have a day job as well for much of that time. My advice would be to take your original estimate and then at least double it! And lots of people set off intending to finish it on the way but believe me, what isn't done by the time you leave, will never get done! :)

tomski

Visit site
Fair enough Paul...well I'm starting on my journey, going there again on Tuesday to go through the work list and taking it from there...I'm sure its going to be a long one but I am 'seizing the moment' :)

Jassira

www.jassira.com
Congratualtion, I've owned a BR53 for the last 10 years, great boat, but it helps if enjoy painting :)

check out the owners group
HTML:
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/brucerobertsyachtowners/?prop=eupdate

Talulah

Visit site
We built a Roberts 34 from scratch in fibreglass. Took five years.
Year 1: Hull mold
Year 2: Hull.
Year 3: Rudder, Internal bulkheads, lead keel, floor supports, coatch roof
Year 4: Teak deck. Engine. General fit out
Year 5: Mast, more deck work and internals.
followed by launch.

My father always enjoyed the making of the boat, not so much the sailing.

tomski

Visit site
LOL...that's about the right description for welding...incidently what could be a way to improve its looks? grinding I'm guessing is not an option as that will weaken the weld....some sort of filler? Not that I'm bothered in any way but if there is a more or less inexepnsive (ie cheap) way of improving the look then the missus would be very happy no doubt... :)

tomski

Visit site
Thats what I thought..well I've plenty of work to sort out and its always functionality/feasbility ahead of cosmetics for me so will probably stay as is...but thought I do the right thing and ask the question :)

lufc71

Visit site
...incidently what could be a way to improve its looks? grinding I'm guessing is not an option as that will weaken the weld....

Yes, grinding would improve the looks, and no, it will not weaken it (unless you go mad and remove a lot of material :)). In fact, the opposite is usually true. Careful grinding can improve the weld by removing sharp contour changes (stress raises) and therefore reduce it's susceptibility to fatigue cracking.

tomski

Visit site
Well thats good news then...I have thought about griding a little anyway to take out the sharp edges so to speak.....given the other effort is a bit cost/time prohibitive...

my next question is deck paint...she desperately needs a blast with the old (very powerfull) jet wash to scrape off the old flaking paint, then grind/gun any rust spots and weld if necessary and finally paint...

So heard about a couple of approaches...one is zinc epoxy based primer then a filler and non slip surface or another of just painting with 'anti rust' base primer then a top coat or painting with two pack epoxy ...

not sure which way to swing really on this...need to plan for deck and hull...heard that the zinc based approach can be a dangerous one...

Last edited: