Websites with animated COLREGs examples or exercises ?

Rustyknight

Visit site
The site I linked to in the "My life in my hands" looks pretty good...... it sets out the rules, and gives their interpretation of the meaning of each rule (with animations in some places), and has little tests you can have a go at.

Website HERE

CodStewart

Visit site
The RNLI site is fantastic. I've been on it all day. As an absolute beginner, it's really helping me especially with regards to recognizing lights at night on vessels. The interactive nature of the website works so that I'm actually recalling what I've learnt. It's ace. Thanks so much for the link.

CodStewart

Visit site
The RNLI site is fantastic. I've been on it all day. As an absolute beginner, it's really helping me especially with regards to recognizing lights at night on vessels. The interactive nature of the website works so that I'm actually recalling what I've learnt. It's ace. Thanks so much for the link.

I was on it all day.
Awwww. So sweet.
I wish I was still like this, instead of the kant with a boat that I've become.
;)

snowleopard

Visit site
Why animated? Will it make your learning any quicker or more thorough?

I know the guy who writes The Complete Course. It is often criticised for not having loads of whizzy graphics but learning isn't an arcade game and requires effort and concentration.

I can see that pictures and diagrams are easier to assimilate than bare text but do you really learn more from seeing the little boats move than from a diagram with arrows showing where they should steer?

CodStewart

Visit site

I know the guy who writes The Complete Course. It is often criticised for not having loads of whizzy graphics but learning isn't an arcade game and requires effort and concentration.

I can see that pictures and diagrams are easier to assimilate than bare text but do you really learn more from seeing the little boats move than from a diagram with arrows showing where they should steer?

Yes, I do. Even though I don't play arcade games and abhor all manner of 'gaming'.

Really? One needs effort and concentration to learn things like this?

Last edited:

Elessar

Visit site

Totally agree.

ancientsailor

www.sailskills.co.uk
IMO this debate about pictures, animations and text may simply be an individual thing (I have heard it called "preferred learning style").

Some seem have a more visual memory - others more text or number-based. Some even like to hear. I have had queries from people who want audio-based ColRegs. Some like to see things move - an animation of a four-stroke engine easier than a series of pictures for example (I know I am not entirely comparing like with like there!)

Personally, I incline to be more visual. I don't remember the four-digit security codes to get into the various offices and stores at work. I do remember the pattern the numbers make on the keypads the first time I use them. It's not conscious - just happens that way.

I could remember the number if I had to (I use ATMs) - it's just the patterns go into memory.

Some people @ work cannot see the patterns. They use the numbers or even rhymes, 4 maids went a-milking, 5 sheep as well ...

Last edited: