We Tried to Enter the Fastnet Race

savageseadog

Visit site
A couple of weeks ago. But for the second time it's oversubscribed and we're on the waiting list. My son actually completed the entry within one minute of the due time but failed to clinch an entry. I'm not sure I understand why the race is limited to so few boats, Round the Island is 2000+, the Fastnet is 350. We were on the waiting list for 2017 and were offered a place...............two weeks before the race start. We couldn't accept the place it was unfeasible. One feature of the entry list is Sea School boats with paying crew. Should they take precedence over purely amateur entries? It's obviously RORC's call. RORC members take precedence as well.

bedouin

Visit site
I should think the limits are due to a combination of issues, the number of boats they want at the start line, the capacity of the Marina in Plymouth and the safety aspect (remember 1979). None of those are a concern for RTIR.

Like you I would be frustrated about Sea Schools having precedence over private boats, but if RORC members take precedence then you know what you have to do :)

savageseadog

Visit site
I should think the limits are due to a combination of issues, the number of boats they want at the start line, the capacity of the Marina in Plymouth and the safety aspect (remember 1979). None of those are a concern for RTIR.

Like you I would be frustrated about Sea Schools having precedence over private boats, but if RORC members take precedence then you know what you have to do :)

I coldn't possibly join RORC now I know Dominic Chappell is a member, I have standards you know (see Lounge). It's a further expense I can do without.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
It's the RORC's race. They can make whatever rules they like.

The RORC actually have a reputation as rather sensible people. I'm not a member but I certainly pay attention to their advice.

I recently bought a boat with a newly expired RORC certificate and a long history of taking part in the Fastnet. I would love to give the old girl another crack at it some time, but that probably won't be possible, as the RORC would rightly prefer entries from serious racers, so I will wait for a year in which there is a geriatrics' class, or, failing that, start an hour after the race and take our own time, keeping out of everyone's way, which is what RT McMullen did in 1888 with the Round Britain Race, so there's an honourable precedent.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
A couple of weeks ago. But for the second time it's oversubscribed and we're on the waiting list. My son actually completed the entry within one minute of the due time but failed to clinch an entry. I'm not sure I understand why the race is limited to so few boats, Round the Island is 2000+, the Fastnet is 350. We were on the waiting list for 2017 and were offered a place...............two weeks before the race start. We couldn't accept the place it was unfeasible. One feature of the entry list is Sea School boats with paying crew. Should they take precedence over purely amateur entries? It's obviously RORC's call. RORC members take precedence as well.
I'll preface this posting with the comment I don't race and have no interest in racing.

I've often thought of doing a "Not the Fastnet Race" same course but the year they are not running it.

lpdsn

Visit site
I'll preface this posting with the comment I don't race and have no interest in racing.

I've often thought of doing a "Not the Fastnet Race" same course but the year they are not running it.

They've put a pontoon in the harbour on Cape Clear Island, so you could do a Fastnet cruise with a few pints along the way. Calves Week also has a Fastnet Race.

Walther

Visit site
Sea School boats with paying crew ... take precedence over purely amateur entries
First I’ve heard about that. Are you able to provide a link to the reference? Thanks.

RORC members take precedence as well.
Correct. That priority is well-publicized, and is fair enough.

It’s not like the RORC doesn’t welcome new members. If you prefer not to pay the joining and subscription fees, that’s entirely fine but obviously you can’t expect the privileges of membership.

flaming

Visit site
If you prefer not to pay the joining and subscription fees, that’s entirely fine but obviously you can’t expect the privileges of membership.

Given the OP's posting history in the Brexit forum, it has to be said that this is something he may not see as "obvious".

PurpleKate

Visit site
My advise if you want to do Fastnet is join RORC. Although the membership is £350 you do get discounts on all the races which in 2017 was £180 on Fastnet. Then this year you get £35 off per other race. You anyway need to do a few races to get your 300miles and I would advise to plan to do more as in 2017 boats with less miles were dropping out. So the net cost is probably less than £100.
You can also take your nearest and dearest for a weekend at the London clubhouse and earn a few brownie points.

Kukri

Visit site
My advise if you want to do Fastnet is join RORC. Although the membership is £350 you do get discounts on all the races which in 2017 was £180 on Fastnet. Then this year you get £35 off per other race. You anyway need to do a few races to get your 300miles and I would advise to plan to do more as in 2017 boats with less miles were dropping out. So the net cost is probably less than £100.
You can also take your nearest and dearest for a weekend at the London clubhouse and earn a few brownie points.

Very good points!

Walther

Visit site
All good points, Kate.

Club membership fees also help support the RORC’s work as one of the leaders in offshore racing. Consider it a small contribution to our sport.

savageseadog

Visit site
With membership costs that high anyone would think yacht racing is a rich man's sport. I am supporting RORC by entering their races.

Kukri

Visit site
With membership costs that high anyone would think yacht racing is a rich man's sport. I am supporting RORC by entering their races.

I very distinctly remember sitting in the bar of the WMYC and hearing Don Pye pronounce "Anyone who can't afford to spend £4,000 a year on this sport shouldn't be in it!" This was 1973 iirc; I was a student and I owned a clapped old Dragon that had cost me £300. I concluded that offshore racing was not for me!

DownWest

Visit site
I very distinctly remember sitting in the bar of the WMYC and hearing Don Pye pronounce "Anyone who can't afford to spend £4,000 a year on this sport shouldn't be in it!" This was 1973 iirc; I was a student and I owned a clapped old Dragon that had cost me £300. I concluded that offshore racing was not for me!

Queue the comment about tearing up fivers under a cold shower!
DW

Walther

Visit site
Whatever.

I note that you haven't responded to my request for evidence of your claim that preference is given to pay-for-play boats.

zoidberg

Visit site
You could try something just a bit more challenging.

Join in the Jester Baltimore Challenge which starts from Plymouth, heads out around the Fastnet Rock, then looks into Baltimore just a few miles along the coast. The guys usually stop for the local town's Pirate's Party, but you could just do a 'dip' into the harbour and right back out again, then head straight back to Cowes.

Just a couple of points - that's a whole lot cheaper than the RORC's 'Fastnet Race'.... and you have to do it solo.

ninjod

Visit site
You could try something just a bit more challenging.

Different, yes but more challenging? I’m not sure I’d agree with that. Just getting to the Fastnet start line requires strict compliance with regulations and a successfully executed race qualification schedule that is agreed at the start of the season. Then there’s the business of getting out of the Solent with circa 350 other yachts all trying to do the same thing. Yes, I know they are all supposed to be going roughly the same way but that doesn’t make it any less hairy, especially when 2 handed.

In contrast the Jester challenge has next to no rules or compliance requirements, a comparatively low number of yachts and even the start day (and line) is moveable if you need it to be.

I’ve done a lot of solo sailing and I can assure you that, assuming your boat is setup, offshore solo sailing is much easier (and less depressing) than the equivalent fully crewed.

Balbas

Visit site
...and a successfully executed race qualification schedule that is agreed at the start of the season.
Unless you're military, who carry an exemption from doing the qualifying races. I should imagine that this is much to the intense annoyance of those paying crew on the sea school boats who've had to pay for the privelige of doing the qualifying races too.