Waypoints

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Plotting

I know exactly what you mean, I have no SWMBO, but numerous girlfriends I have tried to teach. They would all cheat if you let them!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re:Automated Pencil

Very much how CCS described them! Everyone seems to rave about them, however i couldn't see the benefit and I can plot something almost as quick anyway - couldn't see the point.

charles_reed

Visit site
Well I never use them.

Two reasons - first, I've seen the nasty mess resulting from light aircraft hopping from one radiobeacon to the next (the precursor of waypoint navigation) and, secondly, my after dark singlehanding premium shot up about 8 years ago, transpired a single hander had set E Varne as a waypoint, hit it the dark and sunk himself and the buoy.
The cost of the boat didn't worry Lombard, so much as the charges levied by Trinity House.

There's also the recent MIAB report, blaming waypoint navigation for the increase in collisions.

In fairness to Macmillan/Reeds, their alleged waypoints are some distance away from the feature they're marking, but seldom bear much relationship to the "best" approach.

I'll leave it to your ingenuity to work out how to avoid using waypoints (with a chartplotter).

oldsaltoz

Visit site
I enter the location of the mark at least it gives some indication of what direction to start looking in to locate it. I also enter any hazards, rocks, shallows etc, if the weather suddenly closes in I want to know their location; not some point half a mile to one side (or worse the other side).
Always check your position with standard manual navigation, NEVER rely on your GPS alone, also note that rain can cause problems for your GPS.
Avanicechristmas Old Salt Oz.........

JamesS

Visit site
The point about trusting almanacs is valid. I was using a pilot in the Plymouth area only to find the printed position was some 5 miles away.

As for entering the exact position, I have this vision in my mind of a hot summers day in poor visability with about 200 boats heading West down Solent all heading for the Prince Consort with another 200 boats heading East all heading for that same waypoint!!

Cheers

G

mmm yes, it would be lovely with only half the number of boats in the solent wouldn't it ;-)

steffen

Visit site
Re: Yeoman

Its easy to connect, just 12V power and NMEA data in and out.
Beware it has data out so may occasionally clash with other NMEA talkers like GPS.

unlike the others i find it great to use; i plot a course from waypoint to waypoint on the paper chart, then transmit the waypoint to my GPS (which is just GPS, no chart on it.
Also, coupled to GPS it gives you a split second fix on your actual position.
Biggest advantage over GPS plotter i find that you still retain the good old paper charts and yet profit from electronics.

Have fun with it.

charles_reed

Visit site
Senior

More properly decribing someone of advanced age and considerable experience.

On the contrary no Luddite - used aero sight reduction tables when they were first available after the 2nd world war and one of the first yotties that I know to use raster chart plotting, interfaced with GPS.

But it's only opinions isn't it - yours against his.

charles_reed

Visit site
Yeoman vs Chartplotters

I'd be interested in the objective evidence you could provide for the superiority of the Yeoman over electronic charting.

Please also explain the fact that nearly all commercial vessels use chartplotters and none (to my knowledge) use a Yeoman?

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Yeoman vs Chartplotters

I personally obtained 6 full size Yeomans for a Shipping Line that I have some association with, all the Masters involved are thrilled skinny. The Royal Navy use them. The reason I feel they are superior is because one is using a paper chart which (hopefully) has been kept updated regularly whereas an electronic chart by its very nature is never up to date. Furthermore one's paper charts can carry personal notations and one gets a larger 'picture' unless of course one is wealthy enough to have a chart plotter with a screen the size of a Yeoman.
I do agree with you it is a question of opinion, does your FRIN chum happen to have the initials G.G. ?

ô¿ô
www.education-jobs.co.uk
www.alexander-advertising.co.uk<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by byron on Thu Dec 6 11:41:38 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

claymore

Visit site
Personal Notations

My software (Dolphin Maritime) allows me to put in personal notations and supplies me with a selection of icons to mark anchorages etc. This is via the laptop, of course, not a dedicated plotter.

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
Re: Yeoman vs Chartplotters

I guess this is an opinion thing, so here is one more from somebody who has never used a Yeoman. I have now for two seasons used a chart plotter, for over 30 years before that I have done any conventional navigation there is and enjoyed it. Despite the fact, or maybe because I'm in thecomputer business, I have always hesitated to put too much of that stuff on my boat, at least I don't want to be dependant on it.
For the last season I was navigating the fragmented Swedish west coast and the equally wild Norwegian shore. I had both, local paper charts as close as you can get and C-map electronic charts.
The result after two years is that I still use paper as a backup, but c-map has won my heart. They use about all the charts they can get their hands on for vectorizing them and I think while this process could add an error here and there, they also find and investigate the discrepancies.
If you want detail of a large area, the electronic charts are considerably cheaper and sometimes you can't even get that detail on paper, since the digitizers used unpublished survey material.
Certainly you can make marks, remarks, targets or whatever you like in the electronic layers, and you get a lot of piloting information, certainly all the light characteristics and tide calculations included.
The danger certainly is that it lulls you into relying on it maybe too much over time. In the beginning I still put safety bearings into my paper charts the evening before, now I just do enough of that to get back out to sea and change plans if the thing packs up.
I now get paper charts for safety and the electronic ones for gunkholing because you get the detail at a fair price.
Before that I had a brief aera of taking waypoint data from paper charts and putting them into the GPS, and I'd say that's sure a quite error prone thing and I always had the GPS walk throug the courses and distances of the individual legs of a route and compare it to the courses I plotted on the chart.
It seems Yeoman fixes some of that problem, though I have never tried it.