Waxing?

lustyd

Visit site
You missed my points. Putting multiple coats of mold release wax on is not in case you miss a bit, it's to build up the layer of wax.

You also said "it's important to understand that the wax doesn't get thicker or provide more protection." this is therefore incorrect.
Yes, but that's a wholly different subject. If you're spraying on wax then yes, you can build up "layers" although in reality it's just one layer getting thicker - that's how wax works. If you're protecting a hull that would be entirely pointless as the wax would very quickly flake off and you wouldn't have a good finish without buffing, and buffing will smush all those "layers" into a single thin one and remove most of the product.

Allan

Visit site
Yes, but that's a wholly different subject. If you're spraying on wax then yes, you can build up "layers" although in reality it's just one layer getting thicker - that's how wax works. If you're protecting a hull that would be entirely pointless as the wax would very quickly flake off and you wouldn't have a good finish without buffing, and buffing will smush all those "layers" into a single thin one and remove most of the product.
With respect Mr Lusty, it is not "a wholly different subject". As the OP, my question was basically does wax get thicker if you add more coats. I know of nobody that sprays wax onto boats so that aspect is irrelevant.
As I have said earlier I use 3M liquid wax and therefore use their definitions. Compound (cut), polish, wax. Hopefully that reduces confusion. Personally I'm not a fan of products that contain polish and wax.
Our boat, a late 1990s Bowman built Starlight 35 with a dark blue hull, suffered some oxidation after sailing in Spain and France last year. The previous year, after sailing in Scotland there was very little. I used Buffa 2000 to remove the oxidation before waxing. Next year I will try your recommendation of removing the oxidation with meths or similar.
Allan

lustyd

Visit site
With respect Mr Lusty, it is not "a wholly different subject". As the OP, my question was basically does wax get thicker if you add more coats. I know of nobody that sprays wax onto boats so that aspect is irrelevant.
Very confusing then because you agree with me that you don't spray wax onto a boat but for some reason disagree that mould release (where you do spray) is a different subject. In both instances you have a single layer of wax. With one, you buff and spread the wax thinly while the other you spray to build thickness.

Next year I will try your recommendation of removing the oxidation with meths or similar.
It doesn't remove real oxidisation, but what a lot of people assume is oxidisation is actually just chalky wax residue which has been UV damaged. The underlying gelcoat is fine. Unfortunately there are so many posts saying it's damaged gelcoat that people then just polish away their gelcoat, doing more harm than good without ever finding out the truth.

Last edited:

Mister E

Visit site
There used to be someone who posted on here that ran a business polishing boats. He gave some really good information in detail about what to use and when.

I think the user name was something like mirror finishers. Unfortunately I can't remember the proper name to give a link.
Maybe someone remembers him and the user name.

stranded

Visit site
There used to be someone who posted on here that ran a business polishing boats. He gave some really good information in detail about what to use and when.

I think the user name was something like mirror finishers. Unfortunately I can't remember the proper name to give a link.
Maybe someone remembers him and the user name.
Marine Reflections maybe?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I'm not talking about spraying on wax, i'm talking about hand applying mold release wax. Many coats of this can be applied to build up a layer of wax. Mold release wax is very similar to the stuff you'd wax a boat with, probably just missing the UV protection additives as not needed for mold release use.

The same applies to hand waxing a hull, a car, or whatever. More than one coat can be applied to get a better finish. I've never seen wax flaking off because a couple of coats, or more, have been applied. Some manufacturers actually recommend more than one coat. For mold release some recommend as many as 12 coats, and it doesn't flake.

Thresher

Visit site
I'm not talking about spraying on wax, i'm talking about hand applying mold release wax. Many coats of this can be applied to build up a layer of wax. Mold release wax is very similar to the stuff you'd wax a boat with, probably just missing the UV protection additives as not needed for mold release use.

The same applies to hand waxing a hull, a car, or whatever. More than one coat can be applied to get a better finish. I've never seen wax flaking off because a couple of coats, or more, have been applied. Some manufacturers actually recommend more than one coat. For mold release some recommend as many as 12 coats, and it doesn't flake.
Just out of interest. Why do you use mould release wax on your boat instead of the stuff that they sell us in automotive shops and chandlers?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Just out of interest. Why do you use mould release wax on your boat instead of the stuff that they sell us in automotive shops and chandlers?
I don't use mold release wax on my boat, never said i did. The thread has been discussing was and release wax since post #5

KREW2

Visit site
Marine Reflections maybe?
Yes very good info.
Using his tips I bought my 22 year old Westerly storm from a neglected drab matt white, and a very oxidised blue stripe to showroom conditions.
Wash down with oxalic acid and boat shampoo, rinsed off. Armed with my Dodo juice spin doctor polisher and about 300 pounds worth of 3M pads compounds and wax I beavered away for about 2 weeks.
I won shiniest hull of the year award at our club.