Water tanks measure device?

chrisgee

Visit site
Does anyone know of a tank measuring device that does NOT involve drilling a hole for a probe.

I know of a product made in the States by Snake River but I1d rather get something in the uk if possible . Thanks

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
On a previous boat I made a fuel gauge that consisted of a clear plastic tube with a press-to-open valve at the bottom which was tee'd off the fuel line and was fastened to the side of the tank. Worked extremely well. If your tank's accessible this might work for a water tank as well.

santelmo

Visit site
I fitted an ordinary domestic water meter that I got from ebay next to the water pump. I take a reading when I fill up and at any time thereafter if I want to know how much I have got left in the tank I take another reading and do the subtraction sum. Cost about £20 and works well.

G

I went through this process as well ... thought of rods with magnets floating up down with reed switchs at each end etc. Looked at web-sites for various gauges .... the Henderson one working on pressure head of water sounded good ... but prices ....

So in the end I plumped for a Water Level Alarm that tells me when tank is full ... from Maplins - it has a sensor on end of a cable that can be hung in the tank via the sight hole ... or vent. The main unit then clips to a holder on bulkhead with on/ off switch.

If you need actual level indication - then a clear plastic tube bridging from outlet up to inlet will give water level ...

G

On a different note - but same items ....

We needed meters for delivery of Additives to ships cargos. We usually working at about 100 - 300 litres per hour, over 24 - 36 hours. Pro meters specially built were near $1000 each and to be honest after testing one - sent it back.
Went to local DIY shop and paid £8.50 for a standard water meter with spinner and counter display. Over a year later they are still working - we have 3 on each system now - no leaks, indicators still functioning. But I have to say that even though they have certificate of test etc. for official domestic water systems - they are unreliable in actual volume passed. The biggest value we found is actually in following the spinner to indicate speed .... as we often have 2 or more lines connected at one time. The eye is incredibly sensitive to different speeds of the spinners.

Having two means of measurement of volume through water meters - I am now not sure they are accurate ... But a reasonable idea.

Still think a clear pipe with zig-zag yellow / black lines behind is still best level indicator though !