Water maker

SpottyDog5

Visit site
We have possibility of a mid river mooring, generating our own power isn't a problem, but the water supply is.
Moving the boat to fill with water may be a bit of chore.
We consume quite a bit of water, with fresh water loos, showers and a washing machine.
I didn't appreciate a water maker could produce so much, although very power hungry, the solution maybe to run a bigger watermaker over a short time?
We have a 20 kva Onan generator fitted.
Any thoughts most welcome.
Cheers
Roy

rafiki_

Visit site
We have possibility of a mid river mooring, generating our own power isn't a problem, but the water supply is.
We consume quite a bit of water, with fresh water loos, showers and a washing machine.
I didn't appreciate a water maker could produce so much, although very power hungry, the solution maybe to run a bigger watermaker over a short time?
We have a 20 kva Onan generator fitted.
Any thoughts most welcome.
Cheers
Roy
Our Med colleagues are the guru's on these, so consider this bumped so they can see it.

Pete7

Visit site
I think the problem will be you need clean sea water for a WM. Even tiny quantities of chlorine and oil will quickly kill a WM filter.

stranded

Visit site
We're in exactly the situation you describe and have just paid a small fortune to upgrade and have new membranes in the watermaker we inherited with the boat but had never used. We did that after long conversations with the supplier whose advice was 'if you wouldn't swim in it...". I have satisfied myself that as far as the Beaulieu River is concerned, it is only the temperature that would prevent me swimming. So we'll see....

jrudge

Visit site
I would check with the manufacturer

They are meant to run on salt water not fresh. It may work , but may need very different pressure settings.

Asking is cheap. Installing and finding it won't work will be expensive.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
I think JFM might be your best port of call...I seem to remember a post a while ago with virtually the identical question and he posted a thorougher and detailed reply...sorry cant be of more help..

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com

Have you actually checked out the facilities for river mooring holders to take on water? The reason I ask is we have a small boat on a river mooring in Lymington, and there is an alongside quay for bertholders with hose pipes, which always seems to have space, and is not used for overnight mooring afaik. It's not much of a chore to pull alongside, fill the tank, then head off to the mooring

SpottyDog5

Visit site
I believe I can take on water at the HM pontoon. but the water maker solution seems interesting, I know I'm looking at big money to install, but the marina saving would soon offset.

superheat6k

Visit site
I would be very careful with bugs close inshore, especially in a river. An RO water maker doesn't heat the water up, so you would be reliant on chlorination, which would taste awful. On warships we stopped making water when less than 3 miles from the shore, and less so in certain other waters (15 miles off Karachi), and that was flash evaporation heating the water to ~ 80oC.

I expect many many boats simply dump their poo overboard on the Hamble as there are no rules (yet) to the contrary. Whereas I might swim in it I wouldn't choose to drink it.

You can run a hose from my house though if you like !

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
A watermaker can certainly cope with fresh water, it's chlorine that they don't like. I think the "would you swim in it?" question is pretty appropriate. As always, remember to flush it through with fresh water at the end of use. Also, water makers need regular use so the membrane doesn't go off. However, if you have a pretty smart system, you can set it to auto flush for a few minutes every couple of days just to keep it going between weekends.