Water heating element: Torrevieja

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I returned from my unplanned trip home and the electricity supply tripped as soon as I plugged in to shorepower. The element in the tank must have corroded through during my short absence, typical. I've carried out some electrical checks and the element does seem to have died.

I have scoured Torrevieja and asked at the marina but nobody seems able to supply the part. I can find it online at http://www.foxtrot-marine.com/en/wa...0w-220v-chauffe-eaux-quick-nautic-boiler.html (+ thermostat as well) for about 94 Euro.

Unfortunately, I can't remove the old element as I don't have a 56mm box spanner to reach into the recess. None of the local companies even recognise a box spanner for a heating element. Apparently they always use an adjustable wrench (tried that but recess too deep).

Best bet would be to find an online supplier for wrench, Inox element and probably thermostat. No success so far, can anyone suggest a link or company to contact?

The element is for a Quick Nautic B3 Water Heater (40 Litre) and is 220V 1200W Incaloy with faces on nut ~56mm apart.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I returned from my unplanned trip home and the electricity supply tripped as soon as I plugged in to shorepower. The element in the tank must have corroded through during my short absence, typical. I've carried out some electrical checks and the element does seem to have died.

I have scoured Torrevieja and asked at the marina but nobody seems able to supply the part. I can find it online at http://www.foxtrot-marine.com/en/wa...0w-220v-chauffe-eaux-quick-nautic-boiler.html (+ thermostat as well) for about 94 Euro.

Unfortunately, I can't remove the old element as I don't have a 56mm box spanner to reach into the recess. None of the local companies even recognise a box spanner for a heating element. Apparently they always use an adjustable wrench (tried that but recess too deep).

Best bet would be to find an online supplier for wrench, Inox element and probably thermostat. No success so far, can anyone suggest a link or company to contact?

The element is for a Quick Nautic B3 Water Heater (40 Litre) and is 220V 1200W Incaloy with faces on nut ~56mm apart.
If you have somewhere you can get it sent too. Try spencer at Alamar chanders 950497947 in Almerimar Marina

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Thanks Vic. I spent most of Sat. and all of Sun. looking for this part. I tried the obvious places at nearby marina but think I was unlucky. The girl I asked was more interested in her nails and mobile than my query. I took part number, description in Spanish, photographs and the old thermostat but drew a blank. One shop I said something like "Me gustaría un resistencia electrica" only to be met with "no hablo Inglés" and a shrug at the pictures. I was advised to go to several places with no obvious connection to things I was looking for (e.g. business maintaining large trucks).

I finally hit it lucky on way back to the boat and found a place where I could order the element for only 70 Euro and it was only 100m from the first place I checked. The local marina also lent me a robust & thin adjustable wrench. I used that and a large set of mole grips to finally remove the old element.

PS None of the online place were much help with the tool and only suggested eBay or local shops (never thought of trying these).

Looks promising now.

kashurst

N/A
Visit site
Hi spotted this post by accident. I'm in torrevieja marina international and I think I've got an immersion element spanner in my tool box . I'm away from the boat tonight but will be back on board around 10am tomorrow. PM me a mobile phone number and Iwill try and root it out in the morning.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Hi spotted this post by accident. I'm in torrevieja marina international and I think I've got an immersion element spanner in my tool box . I'm away from the boat tonight but will be back on board around 10am tomorrow. PM me a mobile phone number and Iwill try and root it out in the morning.

Many thanks, very kind offer and much appreciated. I think I'll be able to tighten up the new one with the tips of my mole grips and a screwdriver as a lever. Loosening off was more of a problem but I was lucky it wasn't too tight and tool I borrowed was just man enough to get it started. I had to switch to using just tip of mole grips after that as the other tool was too long to fit in any other orientation (just lucky with flats in initial position).

I'll pm anyway in case new one doesn't slot back into place easily but think it will be OK.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Glad you got it sorted , they can be a pig to get out some times , keep the number I give you if your staying in Spain , spencer very good and help ful and will send stuff on .
I know it too later now but I had a problem with the PRV on my quick Boiler and quick in Italy offered to send one out to me free of charge even tho my now is six years old .

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Glad you got it sorted , they can be a pig to get out some times , keep the number I give you if your staying in Spain , spencer very good and help ful and will send stuff on .
I know it too later now but I had a problem with the PRV on my quick Boiler and quick in Italy offered to send one out to me free of charge even tho my now is six years old .

Thanks for the tip, I was in Aguadulce last winter and drove to Almerimar a few times to get bits from Spencer (Marelon skin-fittings & valves etc.) and still e his contact details. I had not thought of asking him to post stuff to me but he is a helpful guy so not a surprise. He'd slipped my mind.