Wanted - Lewmar Winch 40ST parts ref. 15000138 Top Cap x 2 and 15000124 Upper Crown Ring x 2 Thanks :)

WasdaleWanderer

Visit site
So...it would appear the 2 main winches on our 1980's Sadler 32 i.e. Lewmar No.40ST are the original very old "Wave Grip Design" and both the Top Cap (Lewmar ref. 15000138) and the Upper Crown Plate (Lewmar ref. 15000124) are both worn down and in need of replacement.

I can find a source for 3D printed replacement top caps but alas I am struggling to locate any spare Upper Crown Plates.

Rather than replacing both winches, both expensive and stretching my expertise, I thought (on the off chance) that someone might have some available for sale on here? I suspect the answer will be a firm no....but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Kind regards,

WW

Attachments

• 20240113_143304 (1).jpg
    20240113_143304 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240321_143140 (1).jpg
    20240321_143140 (1).jpg
  • 20240321_143114 (1).jpg
    20240321_143114 (1).jpg

dankilb

Visit site
Yup maybe try posting on main (PBO) forum as some members have had their wave grips updated to fit the newer parts. My understanding is a retired Lewmar engineer offers this service. £100 seems cheap unless it’s labour only, but as an owner of 3 pairs of various wave grip sizes I’m all ears…!

WasdaleWanderer

Visit site
I just saw an ad on ebay for someone selling a jaw modification for about £100 per winch. Search lewmar customised crown.
Hi,

Many thanks for your answer - this is Tony from Winch Spares, via I think 3 different routes (trading names) we went full circle and came back to Tony :) He's an absolute expert in winches and was actually recommended by a Lewmar recommended supplier (yes I've been trying all different avenues to try and track down a replacement :) ) to give him a call, sadly he assures me that there are absolutely no spares or replacements for the upper crowns available for our 1980's wave grip winches.

However I like a challenge and haven't given up quite yet.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me though....always worth a look.

Last edited:

WasdaleWanderer

Visit site
Yup maybe try posting on main (PBO) forum as some members have had their wave grips updated to fit the newer parts. My understanding is a retired Lewmar engineer offers this service. £100 seems cheap unless it’s labour only, but as an owner of 3 pairs of various wave grip sizes I’m all ears…!
Thanks, I'll look into doing this :)

I have found 2 suppliers for the top caps with 2 very different prices, and have obviously opted for the £14 each as opposed to the £45 each (or thereabouts), they've arrived and look like they'll do the job - going to be a while before we can fit them though.

If you'd like details of the supplier for these - just let me know.

As for the Crowns, the search continues.

dankilb

Visit site
Thanks, I'll look into doing this :)

I have found 2 suppliers for the top caps with 2 very different prices, and have obviously opted for the £14 each as opposed to the £45 each (or thereabouts), they've arrived and look like they'll do the job - going to be a while before we can fit them though.

If you'd like details of the supplier for these - just let me know.

As for the Crowns, the search continues.
Thanks - but already been down that same route with the top caps when we ‘refurbed’ our winches a few years ago. Went for a mix of the cheaper printed ones and new-old stock (likely the £45 you were quoted?). Sadly they haven’t had much use as the rest of the boats still ‘in refit’, but the 3d printed ones look good and have held up to UV just as well. The new blackness does make the old crowns look even more ropey! We really want the ocean conversion for the sprung jaws to hold thinner diameters etc.