VP MD202b S/W Pump

SteveA

Visit site
The water seal on our raw water pump is dripping and needs to be changed.

I've been able to remove the two outboard bolts but for the life of me can not get a tool on the two inboard bolts.

Has anyone got tips that they can share on how to remove these two bolts - surely I don't need to remove the engine just to repair the sea water pump!! - The boats a Maxi 1000.

I suppose my other question must be - can the water seal be replaced without removing the whole pump.

TIA

mickbond

Visit site
The water seal can be replaced from the front without removing the pump. I used a double lipped replacement seal. The old one can be prised out from behind the impeller. Make sure you get a new seal with a stainless steel spring.

SteveA

Visit site
Mick, Many thanks for the photo and info.

I've just returned from the boat after changing the entire pump. We did it by removing the stop cable and bracket, removed the throttle cable and then supported the engine with a block of wood under the sump and removed the engine support bracket shown on the left of your picture.

This gave just enough room to be able to get to the two inboard bolts - what a stupid design but job done!