VP D3,4 raw water filter

robinborton

Visit site
Hi
I seem to remember a thread which discussed trouble and modifications to the Volvo D3 or D4 engine raw water filter. I can't find the thread, I am dreaming again.
Can Anyone help?

beejay190

Visit site
My (2004 / 2005 ) D3 160s did not come with raw water filters. I am having them fitted shortly.
I assume that they were fitted on later D3s.
I raised this issue with Volvo at SIBS and was told that it was a matter for the boat builder.
However, others tell me that where they Volvo supply an engine / outdrive package - it is their reponsibility / decision to fit raw water filters.
I suspect Volvo were aiming to cut costs and increase their profits by not fiting them.

DAKA

Visit site
There have been several incidents with the D4 strainers including sinking and swamping , originally Volvo Penta claimed it was the owners fault for not screwing the strainer on properly but several Volvo Penta engineers also had difficulty and a recall was issued to some owners but not all.

The D3 strainers have suffered a separate issue, see Barts posts but not for the faint hearted .

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
The D3 strainers have suffered a separate issue, see Barts posts but not for the faint hearted .

Yes this was a scary moment :eek:,

despite the fact that after this incident we have fixed the hose clamps an extra turn; a year later we had the same happening on the other engine,
on that occasion we had much bigger consquences !
....one more a new engine :eek:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252277

we still don't know if the overheating is the cause of the engine failure
but for those who are interested, the insurance versus warranty thing had a very nice ending!
I am VERY pleased with Volvo and my insurance !

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Most D3 160s didnt have the inline strainer, but 190s do.

In my opinion the 190 strainer is a waste of time as its AFTER the sea water pump, though on a drive you wont get larg amounts of debris through the system.

Id like to have seen some sort of strainer before the pump, but volvo didnt bother.

GrahamHR

Visit site
D3s are fitted with DPS drives. Both my DPS equipped 5.7 petrols have had no raw water filter. Both have had closed cooling with a heat exchanger. Both have never had problems with anything blocking the heat exchangers. Admittedly, I do not boat in a swamp, but why should diesels need a raw water filter if the cooling system of petrols seem to happily survive without one ?

Last edited: