Vp 2003 belt tension

stu9000

Visit site
Hi,
I'm on the hook checking the engine. Alternator belt tension needed tightening. I have done this. But what is the right tension? Half inch of play? I have it fairly tight atm. Hard to be explicit without a tension guage, which I do not have. If I press with the thumb I can depress it to touch the filter with some pressure. So I think its tight but not so tight I'm going to mess the bearings up. What do you think? Thanks.20240809_135335.jpg

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
One thing I struggle with is adjusting the tension when on my own - it seems to need more hands than I've got! At least one hand is needed to tension the belt, and then two are needed to tighten the nut and bolt on the adjusting stay. Does anyone have any good tips? It's easy enough with an extra pair of hands - one person tensions the belt, the other tightens the bolt when the tension is right. But doing it single-handed it's very difficult to get the tension right, or at least, to maintain it while tightening the bolt.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I use a long screwdriver to push the alternator to tighten, after adjusting nut & bolt just enough to hold it, then tighten the nut & bolt and check. Repeat if necessary. Hope that's clear... or maybe a large wedge to hold the alternator tight then tighten nut & bolt and check.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I use a long screwdriver to push the alternator to tighten, after adjusting nut & bolt just enough to hold it, then tighten the nut & bolt and check. Repeat if necessary. Hope that's clear... or maybe a large wedge to hold the alternator tight then tighten nut & bolt and check.
I find that if the bolt is tight enough to hold the alternator in place, it's too tight to adjust the tension. But the wedge is a good idea - I can probably find some scrap wood!

Metalicmike

Visit site
Couldn't on mine, I refused to pay 300 euro for an original so got one more powerful and with a little modification made it fit, saved 200 euro. Could have ordered an original from parts4engines but that was before I started using them.

madabouttheboat

Visit site

Attachments

• alternator adjuster.JPG
    alternator adjuster.JPG
    758.3 KB · Views: 3

stu9000

Visit site
I'm obviously not an expert or I would not have started this post. But a long screwdriver as a lever worked well for me. I've put a number of hours on it now and it seems fine (touch wood and whistle). Surely cranking it tight using some kind of mechanism invites over tightening and possibly additional wear on belt and bearings?

VicS

Visit site
I'm obviously not an expert or I would not have started this post. But a long screwdriver as a lever worked well for me. I've put a number of hours on it now and it seems fine (touch wood and whistle). Surely cranking it tight using some kind of mechanism invites over tightening and possibly additional wear on belt and bearings?
Not if you can deflect the belt by 5mm as described in the manual.