VovoTam d41

Pleinmont

Visit site
Another TAMD41P owner here - been happy with the motor in our 760 for last 6 years of ownership (2005 boat - I got it with 300hrs - engine has prob done about 750ish hrs now - not sure exactly as need to replace the tacho LCD screen).

Yes, little smoky for a minute on start up and I do worry a bit about the oil pan needing replacement at some point (seems fine at the moment though - no visible rust or leaks).
Little steamy when running but temp gauge is always ok - prob change the exhaust elbow this year just to be on the safe side.
Other than that, it's been a reliable and easy to maintain motor.

Couple of bits have gone wrong since I've had it but nothing major in terms of boat ownership!
Water pump leaked and needed refurbishing - about £200
Starter motor wore out and needed refurbishing - about £200
Dipstick o ring went slack and dribbled oil at WOT (easy fix)
Changed the air filter to K&N - runs better

Servicing is easy and no electronics like later D series

sailorman

Visit site
Another TAMD41P owner here - been happy with the motor in our 760 for last 6 years of ownership (2005 boat - I got it with 300hrs - engine has prob done about 750ish hrs now - not sure exactly as need to replace the tacho LCD screen).

Yes, little smoky for a minute on start up and I do worry a bit about the oil pan needing replacement at some point (seems fine at the moment though - no visible rust or leaks).
Little steamy when running but temp gauge is always ok - prob change the exhaust elbow this year just to be on the safe side.
Other than that, it's been a reliable and easy to maintain motor.

Couple of bits have gone wrong since I've had it but nothing major in terms of boat ownership!
Water pump leaked and needed refurbishing - about £200
Starter motor wore out and needed refurbishing - about £200
Dipstick o ring went slack and dribbled oil at WOT (easy fix)
Changed the air filter to K&N - runs better

Servicing is easy and no electronics like later D series
all good useful cheers

Greg2

Visit site
My first love was still for the the Perkins Sabre M series. :)
6 litres of lazy grunt as compared to 3.6litres of frantically revving VP.

On our second boat with the Perkins and would share your view. The only issue I am aware of is that the cooling system is a bit marginal - doesn’t take much for them to run warm. One of our does but because we never cruise at the revs it starts to creep up I just haven’t got round to getting some Rydlyme 😉

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Last summer I worked on 3 boats with the 41 in two versions (165 hp and 200 hp) - 5 engines in all.

Lack of cooling on four engines:
Heat exchangers/oils coolers cleaned (thoroughly). A lot of crud in there.

One, which also suffered bad cooling, was running rough:
Injectors were removed and sent off for checking, two came back with new tips.
Injector sleeve leak identified (a horror story, a pig to get out and praying to God that it would end up tight when refitting. Which it did - and I still don't know why it went well.
Despite no errors, it kept sounding slightly different at idle.

One gradually became hard to start, after sitting for more than a couple of hours:
Suspected loss of fuel pressure when sitting so did a lot to ensure the pump, valves, lines, pipes and hoses were tight, the fuel filters ok. etc. Behaved like running dry when reluctant to start.
Went on to electrics, and spotted intermittent loss of power to the fuel solenoid but was puzzled about the pattern - never happened when running. Replaced key switch to no definitive avail and ended up replacing the wire - end-to-end. After all the problem went away - wasn't inexpensive, all in.

Is a 41 bad then? They irritated their owners, but the engines didn't fail or wear. The owner with twins in a P35 sold it immediately after fixing the errors in fear of more lurking in the near future.

oldgit

Visit site
Around 8 boats powered by 41B on our moorings
3 x P35, one a very recent arrival from the midlands/up North.????
2 x P330.
3 x Fairline Corniche
1 x 30Ds.
None have reported any cooling problems.(so far)
Few others with 40A.
The boats that appear to have more problems in the cooling dept appear recently to be VP 60 series fitted to Turbo 36 and the Sedan 36.
Perhaps the smaller boats get used more. ?

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
If you are refering to the Antares 760 then most will have the tamd41p. The "p" being a later version. That is what I have. Have had it for 8 years and is now 23 years old and 1500 hours and the boat still matches the original top speed advertised. Brilliant engine. Does smoke a little at higher revs but that appears to be standard, not a sign of a problem, and easy to diy service.

www.solocoathank uouvrry helpfull infostalsailing.co.uk

Bandit

Visit site
Good bullet proof engines if maintained well.

How many horses.

Check service record.
when were exhaust bends and water injection bends last checked and changed?
Expect to remove , clean, service all coolers or replace if required, don’t bodge this.
Sumps can corrode.

It is a 20 year old engine after all.

oldgit

Visit site
Had no problems with sumps corroding on 40A or 41B.
This might have something to do with the fact that they were high hours engines and the crankcase filters provided a constant mist which kept the entire engine protected by a layer of 15/40 mineral fleet oil.

QBhoy

Visit site
A great engine , sadly in later years they ruined it by fitting the super charger .
You won’t go wrong with a 41
Totally agree. Regular oil, filter cc filter change. Keep the injectors and turbo in good order. Surely can’t go wrong.
Smoking when warmed up is usually always a lack of injector maintenance. Allows oil to be thinned by unburnt diesel. Loss of compression etc etc. not to add the smoke from the excess fuel being thrown in when it shouldn’t t be…causing smoke too. So important to keep the injectors in order, I think.
Might get shot down for this…but I genuinely think that the air filtration system on these and the 61’s can be very restrictive. Or certainly can reduce their ability to feed air to the turbo. Especially if you have oil vapour mist out the cc breather filter being sucked in there and causing oily saturation of the filters.
This in mind, I’m of the opinion that these things run and burn much cleaner, when they have had a good aftermarket cone filter (K&N) installed direct to the turbo. They cost about the same as you’d pay for replacement filters from VP. Made more appealing, by the fact that you don’t need to replace them every service. Just remove and clean. Treat with the supplies oil spray. Throw them back on.
As a result on the 61’s at least, the turbo seems to have an easier time spooling up, reducing the black smoke whilst in lag.
Anyway. Just my thoughts

Pleinmont

Visit site
Totally agree. Regular oil, filter cc filter change. Keep the injectors and turbo in good order. Surely can’t go wrong.
Smoking when warmed up is usually always a lack of injector maintenance. Allows oil to be thinned by unburnt diesel. Loss of compression etc etc. not to add the smoke from the excess fuel being thrown in when it shouldn’t t be…causing smoke too. So important to keep the injectors in order, I think.
Might get shot down for this…but I genuinely think that the air filtration system on these and the 61’s can be very restrictive. Or certainly can reduce their ability to feed air to the turbo. Especially if you have oil vapour mist out the cc breather filter being sucked in there and causing oily saturation of the filters.
This in mind, I’m of the opinion that these things run and burn much cleaner, when they have had a good aftermarket cone filter (K&N) installed direct to the turbo. They cost about the same as you’d pay for replacement filters from VP. Made more appealing, by the fact that you don’t need to replace them every service. Just remove and clean. Treat with the supplies oil spray. Throw them back on.
As a result on the 61’s at least, the turbo seems to have an easier time spooling up, reducing the black smoke whilst in lag.
Anyway. Just my thoughts
Agree on the K&N filter. I changed mine to one of the red cone ones and the engine definitely felt a little more perky around the mid range revs (2-3000).

QBhoy

Visit site
Agree on the K&N filter. I changed mine to one of the red cone ones and the engine definitely felt a little more perky around the mid range revs (2-3000).
Yeah. I certainly think so. It’s a no brainer I think. As long as you get the right one and it can’t suck any poorly fitting rubber insert seals, into the turbo.

oldgit

Visit site
There is an aftermarket modification kit for the 40/41 where the " mist" from the crankcase was drawn directly back into the engine .
An expensive piece of kit especially for a twin engine set up, but very simple to fit.
Crankcase ventilation upgrade kit for Volvo Penta 31-41 diesel engines, marineparts.eu

Plum

Visit site

QBhoy

Visit site