Volvo Penta Md2020 Overheating problem

scottie

Visit site
I There

how do you check the inside of a sail drive leg ? I clear the 3 holes of debris and push a long screwdriver up the hole in the bottom, there is always shell debris that falls out. I did consider putting a pressure washer down the entry hole in the water strainer, but thought better of it 😳
Dinghy pump down the inlet hose will flush the leg

mnrkks

Visit site
Yesterday I sailed for 22 miles and just in the middle of the way overheating alarm started... I have installed a gauge showing the temperature of coolant and it was up to 92 degrees in 2200 rpm... Looking at the Volvo Penta's operators manual it says 75-90 degrees is operating temperature. My friend says (he has a Yanmar engine) he sees 81 degrees at maximum... My temp gauge shows 88-89 in 1800 rpm.. I really dont know what to do more... The last thing I will do is to open fresh water pump and see if it is blocked / broken or not... Any other ideas?

List of things I did lately;
  1. Sea water filter replaced with new
  2. Impeller replaced with new
  3. Thermostat replaced with new
  4. Cleaned heat exchanger (Acid cleaning)
  5. Cleaned heat exchanger housing
  6. Exhaust elbow replaced with new
  7. Exhaust water silencer replaced with Vetus LP45
Thanks...

Tranona

Visit site
Have you changed the temperature sender unit? I had similar once on a Yanmar 1GM with a very loud buzzer (but no gauge) and eventually realised that it was not actually overheating but the sender unit was gone. Fitted a new one, problem solved. Suggest you get hold of something like this thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/9500372/duratool-laser-infrared-thermometer---50c-to-380c-range---cp-in07344.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtvs6djj_gIVyLvVCh2ufgzVEAQYAyABEgId4fD_BwE to actually measure the temperature of different parts of the engine. We used this when commissioning my newly installed engine that does not have a temperature gauge. Showed an even 78 which is normal.

Doubt there is any problem with the seawater side now, particularly if there is good flow and it is not putting out steam so the problem has to be either with the sender/gauge or the freshwater circuit.

mnrkks

Visit site
Have you changed the temperature sender unit? I had similar once on a Yanmar 1GM with a very loud buzzer (but no gauge) and eventually realised that it was not actually overheating but the sender unit was gone. Fitted a new one, problem solved. Suggest you get hold of something like this thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/9500372/duratool-laser-infrared-thermometer---50c-to-380c-range---cp-in07344.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtvs6djj_gIVyLvVCh2ufgzVEAQYAyABEgId4fD_BwE to actually measure the temperature of different parts of the engine. We used this when commissioning my newly installed engine that does not have a temperature gauge. Showed an even 78 which is normal.

Doubt there is any problem with the seawater side now, particularly if there is good flow and it is not putting out steam so the problem has to be either with the sender/gauge or the freshwater circuit.

I will buy one of this, a good idea.. For the freshwater circuit I have some questions... There are two hoses attached the freshwater system which goes to water heater to heat the water. but those hoses are also renewed so do you thinks it is worth to check it? Also my transmission oil is not changed very long time, I will do that. Could be that transmission is getting so hot so the raw water already gets hot before cooling the freshwater?