Volvo Penta KAD300 electrical issue

briggs

Visit site
Maybe one of the gurus can offer some insight!

While out fishing/drifting with engine on, the engine suddenly shut down. I went to the helm and noticed orange diagnostic light flashing on EDC panel. Depressed the D button, then key button and engine fired right back up but would not shift int gear. Depressed D button one more time while engine was running and shifter functioned without fault. Fast forward (1.5 hrs run time at cruise)I get back to launch ramp and while coming into the dock I shift into reverse and drive locks in reverse, this time without engine shutting down,I quickly shut down and D button on EDC was flashing again. Went thru steps to clear code and everything seemed to functional normal again.

Engine background: 3500 hrs+ on a rigorously maintained KAD 300 with a DPG drive. Engine compartment is always 100% dry, never any water in bilge. This package has been electronically trouble free for 3500hrs+ of operation. Never has presented with any electronic gremlins.

My thought is it could be the electronic shift actuator going out or maybe the throttle potentiometer.

I checked all connections and grounds did not find anything unusual.

I was unable to retrieve the diagnostic code due to close proximity during docking.
Thanks in advance

briggs

Visit site
Could not retrieve as I was getting pulled into sea wall by a drive that would not shift out of reverse. I am going down to the boat to see if I could pull them uo

zt260

www.ashmouldings.co.uk
I had a kad300 that used to put itself into gear from neutral normally when I was mooring or doing close quarter manoeuvre not the same problem I know,I was advised to clean the connections on the large grey connector block that rests on top of the engine that seemed to work for me.it might be worth trying.Good luck

Ash