Volvo penta d1-30....new problem

billyfish

Visit site
Well I'm baffled...last year now and again the engine wouldn't shut down , if I wiggled the switch up and down it would eventually shut down . Easy I thought, fit a new switch, now fitted, no difference, won't shut down . This is a panel with the left switch does glow and test the right switch does shutdown - off - ignition on. I've replaced both switches and both relays in the MDI box although I'm not sure it's the original as the start relay is out side the box . I've traced the wire from the panel to the shut off solenoid and got continuity. On the back of the switch with 6 terminals 4 are connected 3 one side one and one in the middle pole, which is the shutoff violet wire on the other side. However when operated no current is getting to the violet wire. I took a photo before I replaced it so I know the wires are right. Not sure of the nxt step. HELP PLEASE...

VicS

Visit site
OK so I have a MDI box which ,I think , someone has bypassed, with a 70amp starter relay , not been a problem thus far but now can't shut the engine off by the panel, anyone know if the shutoff also goes through the MDI. I've changed the 3way switch but not getting voltage to the shutoff solenoid. See picture of MDI add on. Which ,following a few sparks, must be connected straight to the battery.
1717434871850.png
Well I'm baffled...last year now and again the engine wouldn't shut down , if I wiggled the switch up and down it would eventually shut down . Easy I thought, fit a new switch, now fitted, no difference, won't shut down . This is a panel with the left switch does glow and test the right switch does shutdown - off - ignition on. I've replaced both switches and both relays in the MDI box although I'm not sure it's the original as the start relay is out side the box . I've traced the wire from the panel to the shut off solenoid and got continuity. On the back of the switch with 6 terminals 4 are connected 3 one side one and one in the middle pole, which is the shutoff violet wire on the other side. However when operated no current is getting to the violet wire. I took a photo before I replaced it so I know the wires are right. Not sure of the nxt step. HELP PLEASE...

Firstly I think you are mistaken in believing you have a MDI system. The photo in your previous post shows a relay bolted to the outside of a conventional relay box. The D1 series of engines only had a MDI from the B variant onwards
I have the workshop manual for the early D1 engines but it is not much help because it does not show the stop circuit ( violet wire) in the diagram for the panel without a key switch !

I do not follow your description of the wiring of your stop/off/on switch, "On the back of the switch with 6 terminals 4 are connected 3 one side one and one in the middle pole, which is the shutoff violet wire on the other side", but it should be easy to work out which wire to connect to which terminal.

I'd expect a red wire ( the incoming power supply) to be connected to one ( probably the middle one on one side ), Two red/blue wires to be connected to another on the same side and the violet wire to be connected to the third terminal on the same side., but there might be something a bit clever going on to keep the panel warning lights buzzer and tacho energised during the stop procedure although I don't see why there should be

Can you post a diagram showing how the wiring is connected and/or the photo you mentioned. I suspect you merely have the violet wire on the wrong terminal.

billyfish

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I agree, something is not right but this is the photo I took before I changed the switch, all I can think of now is the switch i got must be the wrong type.

Attachments

• 20240522_091628.jpg
    20240522_091628.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 11

VicS

Visit site
That's not quite what I was expecting.

According to the parts list the switch is part number 3586251. What did you buy?
The switch in the photo looks like it might be the same as the glow plug and alarm test switch , but according to the parts list they are not the same

All I can suggest is that you determine which terminal becomes +12volts when the switch is in the "stop" position and move the violet wire to that terminal

billyfish

Visit site
Yes, couldn't find it on the parts list either and I can't find a wiring diagram for my setup. I took the old switch to a switch shop and they changed like for like, I thought. The difference between the two is the other one is momentary up and down and this one is momentary just In the up shutdown. Ignition on in the down. I can't get current to any pole on the left side wherever the switch is positioned.

VicS

Visit site
Yes, couldn't find it on the parts list either and I can't find a wiring diagram for my setup. I took the old switch to a switch shop and they changed like for like, I thought. The difference between the two is the other one is momentary up and down and this one is momentary just In the up shutdown. Ignition on in the down. I can't get current to any pole on the left side wherever the switch is positioned.
The switch should be momentary on in the stop position but stay on in the power on position.

No you wont get power to any terminals on the left side, only on the right as it is wired. The two sides are the separate poles.

I dont understand why you have a double pole switch or why there are so many red wires on it. I expected to see just a single pole switch such as this Furneaux Riddall SPDT ON -OFF-(ON) MOM switch
On / Off / (On) Momentary Toggle Switch 20A SPDT

I have attempted to edit the wiring diagram to show what I expected for switch10 and the wiring to it but you have too many red wires.
I think this must be solved "hands on" rather that remotely via a forum

1717493148981.png

billyfish

Visit site
Yes I got the switch from them. Back on board now , going to find a live to go to that side of the switch. Will report back . Thank you

billyfish

Visit site
Yes ...by moving the two reds to the bottom of the left side ot works but I still don't know what they do or how it worked before

Attachments

• 20240604_110509.jpg
    20240604_110509.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

VicS

Visit site
I'd have put the Violet wire on the bottom right terminal but if it now all works as it should the problem solved

I'd want to find out what all the red wires are.

billyfish

Visit site
So that had something to do with the charge circuit as I got intermittent beep alarm on the battery, so made a jumper across..trying it now

Attachments

• 20240604_112914.jpg
    20240604_112914.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1

billyfish

Visit site
Now the battery alarm keeps going off have I buggered the diode in the alternator. It's still charging. But from 14.09 to 14.19 volts 14.22 at the battery