Volvo penta aq270 leak oil

Marcel92

Visit site
greetings,
I have a volvo penta aq130 engine and an aq270 gearbox. I have a problem that oil and water, emulsion came out of the exhaust. and the oil in the gearbox disappeared, do you know where the problem could be?

madabouttheboat

Visit site
No oil in the drive unit is going to be a problem if its been run. Start with a pressure and vacuum test. Its very unusual to lose all gear oil. You usually end up with an emulsion of oil and water if it has a leak. Are you sure it was filled? What is your history with this boat? New purchase or owned for a while?

Gear oil should not come anywhere near exhaust. The exhaust emulsion could be from the engine.

Marcel92

Visit site
I have owned the boat for 15 years, the oil in the engine does not disappear and is clean without emulsion. the oil in the gearbox was changed as it should have been. the oil just came out through the exhaust with a little emulsion

No oil in the drive unit is going to be a problem if its been run. Start with a pressure and vacuum test. Its very unusual to lose all gear oil. You usually end up with an emulsion of oil and water if it has a leak. Are you sure it was filled? What is your history with this boat? New purchase or owned for a while?

Gear oil should not come anywhere near exhaust. The exhaust emulsion could be from the engine.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
I have owned the boat for 15 years, the oil in the engine does not disappear and is clean without emulsion. the oil in the gearbox was changed as it should have been. the oil just came out through the exhaust with a little emulsion
Well apart from some kind of internal corrosion/damage between the gearcase and the exhaust, which would render the drive a write off, I can't see any other way the drive oil could come out of the exhaust. A pressure test will tell you what you need to know.

PCUK

Visit site
As madabout says, it sounds terminal unless there is a blanked off orifice between the exhaust and the gearbox housing used for internal machining that has failed and started leaking. I don't know the internals of these drives just wondering if it is the same as the Bravo 3. Hopefully Volvo Paul will be able to provide the answer.