Volvo Penta 2002 not starting

Danonthewater

Visit site
Hello All, I'm new to this forum!
I've recently had my boat out, did the service at the same time, and now engine won't start.
I've bled the air in the system out, and have fuel at the injector pump banjos (both), but one of the injector fuel pumps is not jetting fuel?
I'm cranking the engine with the decompression lever open, and I'm keeping the raw water sea cock closed, I did prime the system.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dantp

Visit site
Hi Dan
Just to check.
You say you are cranking the engine with the decompression lever open.
Presumably in the straight up position.
This is great for bleeding the system.
But you need to put it back down to the right (looking at the front of the engine) to get it to start.
You may have already done this and I've just misunderstood your post.

How did you determine one of the injection pumps isn't jetting fuel?
The easiest place to determine this is to loosen the fuel line connections on the top of the injectors and see if you have fuel coming our there.

I hope that gives you a start to working out the problem.

Dan

DownWest

Visit site
Might be terminology problem. The high pressure fuel lines to the injectors do not have banjos, but the drain off lines do.
The high pressure lines go into the side of the injectors with a 17mm nut (usually) Those are the ones you want to loosen slightly to check that fuel is getting to the injectors while cranking.
Every thing indicates lack of fuel, or air in the system, if you have just done a filter change and it was running OK before that.

BTW, welcome!

Ooops! Just googled the engine and the high pressure lines are on the top of the injectors, with the bleed off banjos down the side.

Last edited:

Bilgediver

Visit site
It is possible for an ninjector pump to become airlocked and not clear without a little extra help especially is
F a sticky delivery valve. If you think this may be Happenng then slacken off the injector pipe fr0m the pump and then slacken off the delivery valve housing to which the injector pipe is fitted and the trapped air should find its way up the loose threads when the engine is turned. Do not remove the delivery valve as this could result in parts taking a trip to the bilges. Once fuel appears retighten and prime again till fuel now appears at the injector connection.
This is something I have had to do on occasion.

Danonthewater

Visit site
Hi Guys, Thanks for your posts, I will go through what I have found so far.

I have bled the system clear of air, I had fuel coming out of the banjos on both Injector pumps, I would only get a dribble out of fuel injector pump 1, but 2 has not shown any. I removed the FIP and soaked it in diesel overnight, I bled it all down again, using the decompression lever, which i place back to try and start the engine, I still dont get any fuel out of FIP 2. I've tried WD40 and Easystart, but the engine just won't start, it sounds like it wants to, this is with the throttle lever fully forward.
What I have thought about this situation, after being away from the boat for a few days, is maybe there is an air intake issue, as it SHOULD start with easystart, no matter what, so maybe I have an issue with the governor, or maybe the throttle cable is not actually working?

I've checked that the fuel kill line works, that the mechanism goes back to it's stop for the engine to be run, and when I removed the FIP's i made sure that the bar inside slides left and right.

It's defo not an air problem, I've got fuel peeing out of the banjos on both FIP's

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Danonthewater

Visit site
Just to add, my thinking is, that if a small amount of fuel is pulsing out of FIP1, and none out of FIP2, then this might be the idle flow, just from one FIP? even with the throttle fully forward, it's not much, but then, I haven't seen what it really should look like, didn't want to mess around when the engine was so good (before) :-(

DownWest

Visit site
Just to add, my thinking is, that if a small amount of fuel is pulsing out of FIP1, and none out of FIP2, then this might be the idle flow, just from one FIP? even with the throttle fully forward, it's not much, but then, I haven't seen what it really should look like, didn't want to mess around when the engine was so good (before) :-(
Like I said, if it was running OK before, then air is the likely culprit. You seem to be over thinking it. Might be a misplaced seal on the filter casing?

I have found that a, outboard type squeese bulb pump in the supply line, before the filters, makes bleeding MUCH easier.

Danonthewater

Visit site
Hi DownWest,

Thanks for your reply.

But if i had air in the system, then when i cracked the banjos on the FIP's (2 of them) wouldn't i hear air coming out, but instead, I have fuel pouring out?

I guess i could take the filters off and check again, but i don't seem to have air coming out anywhere when i bleed?

It also doesn't explain why it doesn't start with WD40 or Easystart in the air intake? That bypasses the fuel system? Seems more of an air issue or such like?

Billba

Visit site
No one has mentioned the Cold start procedure..... for the 2000 series after setting the throttle to three quarters pull the stop control to set cold start then crank. Best of luck. Bill

DownWest

Visit site
Unless we are at cross purposes, the bango are the return lines. The ones to loosen a bit are the high pressure connections on the top of the injectors. Spin the engine and loosen one at a time. A bit of fuel should pulse out, or air... Bare in mind it is at 2,500 psi, so just loosen a little bit.
Agree, that it should start or at least fire with easy start..

What did you do on the service? Oil change and filter, fuel filter(s), and...?