Volvo Penta 2002 Fuel Regulator Stiff

Simon_C

Visit site
Hi all, first time poster here. I have a problem with my VP 2002 not returning to idle revs properly. After some investigation I discovered the fuel regulator lever is stiff and I'm sure it's suposed to be easy to move back and forth by hand (The cold start lever is fine). See a pic of the part attached. I can't see how to lubricate it from the outside and will probably have to remove it. Has anyone done this? I'm worried a bunch of springs will pop out and I'll be in a worse position.

penta_2002_regulator_840435.jpeg

hurley

Visit site
Mines quite stiff if I articulate the lever using my thumb. That's with the cable attached so I assume that's why. (friction in cable) I assume you have detached the cable?
Sometimes mine doesn't return to normal revs but responds to a "blip" in nuetral. If it persists I will clean and lubricate and exercise all the external links, cable and throttle lever. I recall someone saying it's a bit of a Pandoras box opening that area as its full of springs that can pop off. So I'm thinking I'll probably just learn to live with it in the event external lube doesn't work.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Hi all, first time poster here. I have a problem with my VP 2002 not returning to idle revs properly. After some investigation I discovered the fuel regulator lever is stiff and I'm sure it's suposed to be easy to move back and forth by hand (The cold start lever is fine). See a pic of the part attached. I can't see how to lubricate it from the outside and will probably have to remove it. Has anyone done this? I'm worried a bunch of springs will pop out and I'll be in a worse position.

View attachment 175681

Is the teleflex cable correctly adjusted? It should pull the lever to the adjustable stop for idle and also to the full speed stop screw.

Some times to get the full stroke it is necessary to move the Teleflex connection to a hole further out on the Teleflex arm.

Refueler

Visit site
My first reaction would be to use a very light machine oil to 'wash' the linkage and its pivot without dismantling. Its probably built up crud and possibly results of wear over the years ...
Then a simple dose of 3in1 oil or similar. I would not use anything heavier as it then tends to hold grit / salts etc.

The cables to the linkage are probably 'dry' as well ... similar treatment there using the inner cable as a wicking to have the oil slowly migrate along. It may take time ... I usually apply a few drops to wick along and it can do its job while I use the boat ...