volvo oil change

boatmike

Visit site
The manual for the md7a specifies using the dip stick hole.
And yes.. I know now it should have been done in the autumn

I smiled at that Stu! Not exactly helpful advice saying you should have done this earlier is it? In an ideal world everything goes to plan. On planet Earth shit happens! In my case the boat was lifted out in sub zero temperatures with ice on the decks..... No opportunity to run engines with boat afloat. However I think I may well have overlooked the obvious due to the fact that I was looking at access points near the sump when there is a pipe installed for the purpose terminating higher which in my case is right under a cupboard! Oh well as I said before, not to old to learn even if I feel a bit of a twat for missing the obvious. In my defence the Volvo manual is not very helpful in pointing out that this pipe exists...... Thanks to Trundlebug for pointing out my schoolboy error....

Quandary

Visit site
I smiled at that Stu! Not exactly helpful advice saying you should have done this earlier is it? In an ideal world everything goes to plan. On planet Earth shit happens! In my case the boat was lifted out in sub zero temperatures with ice on the decks..... No opportunity to run engines with boat afloat. However I think I may well have overlooked the obvious due to the fact that I was looking at access points near the sump when there is a pipe installed for the purpose terminating higher which in my case is right under a cupboard! Oh well as I said before, not to old to learn even if I feel a bit of a twat for missing the obvious. In my defence the Volvo manual is not very helpful in pointing out that this pipe exists...... Thanks to Trundlebug for pointing out my schoolboy error....

Perhaps the anally retentive Swedish twassock deserves an apology, but the if he still works for VP, perhaps not, he will have plenty of other sins to answer for.

boatmike

Visit site
Sadly no John but if you contact the same company they may be able to help. Dunno sorry!

Update ! I just bought 2 air filters from herehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D31-D41-D42-Air-Filter-Element-200mm-Replaces-Volvo-Penta-858488-/181750382072
You need to check your current air filter is 858488. There is a later alternative. If so it will be red not black.

Also In line Filters (google) have the fine fuel filter as Baldwin BF 587-D at £5.56

Hope this helps

Last edited:

boatmike

Visit site
Perhaps the anally retentive Swedish twassock deserves an apology, but the if he still works for VP, perhaps not, he will have plenty of other sins to answer for.

Absolutely Q! The biggest twassock is now elected as the one who wrote the user manual who does not point clearly at the top of the pipe with a big sign saying "suck here" ...... Actually it does not make life much easier than going down the dipstick hole as it's still not a very big bore pipe but it does come out a bit faster. Also with the rear of the sump being the lowest point it gets the last dregs out. Yet again though it pays to post on here. I might feel a bit of a numpty for not seeing what in retrospect should have been obvious but I have learnt something and hopefully helped others so perhaps I should elect myself as twassock no 2.......

boatmike

Visit site
Yes Sam and I am sure it would be much easier if oil is hot. Not possible in my case though. The Pela worked OK once I removed the miniscule adaptor for the tiny pipe usually fitted and put a bigger tube OVER the end of the spout but the one you indicated is probably better and holds more oil at one go. What diameter tube does yours take? I think the Pela is ridiculously small as standard but does work with the mod I mentioned. Yours is still only 6.5 litres though and with 11 litres to extract that means two complete fills. Not sure how much oil the AD41Ps have .........

Last edited:

Sailorsam101

Visit site
Yes Sam and I am sure it would be much easier if oil is hot. Not possible in my case though. The Pela worked OK once I removed the miniscule adaptor for the tiny pipe usually fitted and put a bigger tube OVER the end of the spout but the one you indicated is probably better and holds more oil at one go. What diameter tube does yours take? I think the Pela is ridiculously small as standard but does work with the mod I mentioned. Yours is still only 6.5 litres though and with 11 litres to extract that means two complete fills. Not sure how much oil the AD41Ps have .........

Yes they have 11 ltrs as well..same basic engine i think. I had to do two goes at each engine.

stu9000

Visit site

Ach! I didn't mind. He is right after all.
First winter with my lovely boat. Still learning the routines but will get there. The engine is old but has been well looked after. I'm trying to do the same. Fingers crossed she will start when I launch in a couple of weeks.

Other threads that may be of interest