Volvo D3 220 - No fuel in common rail

Mark0474

Visit site
Hi All
I have a volvo penta D3 220 which has suddenly started to give me lots of troubles. Here is a summary of whats happened and checked.

1.I had a faulty injector which was replaced and tested, engine ran well without troubles during sea trials.
2. Engine just suddenly stopped after an hour of running at a constant speed, no alarms, knocks, smoke etc, it just stopped. Kill switch checked, two red fuse buttons checked and all ok.
3. It was difficult to turn over so replaced the starter motor and also replaced the batteries as they were old.
4. Engine turns over but not starting, had a few sensor errors, sensors checked and cleaned and errors went.
5. Realised that there wasn't any fuel pressure on the gauge.
6. Replaced the High pressure pump
7. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pressure sensor (5v supply to this sensor)
8. Cleaned all fuel lines, replaced fuel filters, water separator, replaced fuel in the tank.
9. I keep getting strange sensor failures and feels like I'm just going in circles
10. Also checked all the relays.
11. The key and barrel were renewed as the key was sticking and corrosion on the barrel.

So where I am now is lots of new parts, engine still just turns over and will not start. I had Volvo technician arrive and he just said there isn't fuel pressure common rail, then stated the head was damaged and needed to be replaced. This I'm not sure about at the moment, I just cant figure out why there isn't any High pressure fuel coming to the injectors. The feed pump is working and runs as soon as you turn the ignition on for a few seconds then stops.

The Fuel pressure sensor just shows _ _ _ and no readings. My thought is that the pressure sensor is linked to the fuel regulator and once it detects pressure in the line, it opens the valve and then the system is pressurised and therefor the fuel gets to the injectors.

The local Volvo guys just want to take the engine out and remove the head and won't discuss doing anything else.

I am also looking for a wiring diagram for the D3 as well as it will help with the wiring loom and I also would like to know if the ECU (bosch metal casing) should have a ground wire as the boat is fibreglass. I think that it has a common ground but cant find where its located.

Thank you for any help,
Mark

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi All
I have a volvo penta D3 220 which has suddenly started to give me lots of troubles. Here is a summary of whats happened and checked.

1.I had a faulty injector which was replaced and tested, engine ran well without troubles during sea trials.
2. Engine just suddenly stopped after an hour of running at a constant speed, no alarms, knocks, smoke etc, it just stopped. Kill switch checked, two red fuse buttons checked and all ok.
3. It was difficult to turn over so replaced the starter motor and also replaced the batteries as they were old.
4. Engine turns over but not starting, had a few sensor errors, sensors checked and cleaned and errors went.
5. Realised that there wasn't any fuel pressure on the gauge.
6. Replaced the High pressure pump
7. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pressure sensor (5v supply to this sensor)
8. Cleaned all fuel lines, replaced fuel filters, water separator, replaced fuel in the tank.
9. I keep getting strange sensor failures and feels like I'm just going in circles
10. Also checked all the relays.
11. The key and barrel were renewed as the key was sticking and corrosion on the barrel.

So where I am now is lots of new parts, engine still just turns over and will not start. I had Volvo technician arrive and he just said there isn't fuel pressure common rail, then stated the head was damaged and needed to be replaced. This I'm not sure about at the moment, I just cant figure out why there isn't any High pressure fuel coming to the injectors. The feed pump is working and runs as soon as you turn the ignition on for a few seconds then stops.

The Fuel pressure sensor just shows _ _ _ and no readings. My thought is that the pressure sensor is linked to the fuel regulator and once it detects pressure in the line, it opens the valve and then the system is pressurised and therefor the fuel gets to the injectors.

The local Volvo guys just want to take the engine out and remove the head and won't discuss doing anything else.

I am also looking for a wiring diagram for the D3 as well as it will help with the wiring loom and I also would like to know if the ECU (bosch metal casing) should have a ground wire as the boat is fibreglass. I think that it has a common ground but cant find where its located.

Thank you for any help,
Mark
Are you in the UK ?
what are the grounds to suggest taking the head off ?
sounds like you have a dealer with virtually zero knowledge that has not attended the mark 2 D 3 course .
This newer engine is a vast improvement on the old one which in my opinion was not fit to be a marine engine .

Mark0474

Visit site
Are you in the UK ?
what are the grounds to suggest taking the head off ?
sounds like you have a dealer with virtually zero knowledge that has not attended the mark 2 D 3 course .
This newer engine is a vast improvement on the old one which in my opinion was not fit to be a marine engine .
Hi,
He has no grounds to suggest taking the head off, hence I said no. I am in italy at present and this is the main volvo guy here. As soon as I said I didn't think it was the head, he closed the computer and left. He didn't want to look at the anything.
My confusion is why there isn't fuel in common rail and i get lots of random faults. I've checked and cleaned all connections, ground wires, battery voltage etc

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi,
He has no grounds to suggest taking the head off, hence I said no. I am in italy at present and this is the main volvo guy here. As soon as I said I didn't think it was the head, he closed the computer and left. He didn't want to look at the anything.
My confusion is why there isn't fuel in common rail and i get lots of random faults. I've checked and cleaned all connections, ground wires, battery voltage etc
Could be a basic problem, have you followed the fuel line from tank to engine pre filter ? Some boats do have an electric solenoid valve instead of a manual tap at the tank , I know this is a basics answer but I once went to a Cranchi that wouldn’t start and I couldn’t bleed the system because the ignition controlled valve had failed .

Mark0474

Visit site
Could be a basic problem, have you followed the fuel line from tank to engine pre filter ? Some boats do have an electric solenoid valve instead of a manual tap at the tank , I know this is a basics answer but I once went to a Cranchi that wouldn’t start and I couldn’t bleed the system because the ignition controlled valve had failed .
Hi, I have bypassed the Racor filter and run a line directly to the electric fuel pump that runs when you turn the ignition on. I also ran a line directly from a Jerry Can of fuel to the fuel pump to bypass the fuel tank. The primer pump works well with great flow.
I removed the return line to check it and it was clear and there was good flow as well.
It seems like there is a signal missing to tell the fuel regulator to open so that the High pressure line to the injectors opens.

spannerman

Visit site
The way this system works is the high pressure pump has a restricter valve on its inlet called the MPROP valve. When the rail is empty or has low pressure the rail pressure sensor tells the MPROP to go to full open allowing the high pressure pump to quickly fill the rail and build up the pressure, once the correct pressure is obtained two things happen, the injectors start working and the MPROP gets a feedback to throttle back the pump so as to maintain the desired pressure, this loop continues in response to the demands received from the throttle at the helm, there are a few more sensors involved but the main one is the rail pressure sensor. Now this sensor is very sensitive to external voltage i.e. Static electricity and we have to wear a grounding lead when installing them. It sounds like there is no signal from this sensor so the MPROP isn’t opening and allowing fuel to the high pressure pump, the zero readings would indicate this, but if you can get an engineer who knows what he doing to connect a Vodia diagnostic tool there should be fault codes present to help narrow it down and you can see on the live data what is happening when you crank the engine.
Another thing to check is the engine earthing point as this has caused problems in the past and can cause spurious electrical problems.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi, I have bypassed the Racor filter and run a line directly to the electric fuel pump that runs when you turn the ignition on. I also ran a line directly from a Jerry Can of fuel to the fuel pump to bypass the fuel tank. The primer pump works well with great flow.
I removed the return line to check it and it was clear and there was good flow as well.
It seems like there is a signal missing to tell the fuel regulator to open so that the High pressure line to the injectors opens.
Do you get a good return flow when cranking , that would tell you if the common rail pump is giving fuel , as spannerman says it sounds like an electric issue whereby the pump just is not pumping at all , I don’t suppose the flow and return hoses are on the wrong way ?

spannerman

Visit site
There seems to be some confusion about the D3 fuel system, there is no fuel regulator that needs to open. The electric pump sends fuel to the High Pressure pump which then pressurises the rail, when the correct pressure is reached the rail pressure sensor tells the MPROP valve to throttle back fuel admission to the HP pump, this is a continuous loop system. If the pressure goes too high the is a pressure relief valve on the rail which dumps fuel into the return system. The injectors open and close in response to signals from the ECU which measures various parameters and calculates the injector pulse time, they only begin injection once rail operating pressure is attained, and stop the engine by ceasing injection, there is no stop valve. I still suspect the rail pressure sensor is faulty as you stated it has no output signal and this directly controls the HP pumps output.

Mark0474

Visit site
I am certain that it's an electrical issue. I am working on getting another more reputable volvo technician to come and plug in. The MPROP was replaced along with the pressure sensor so the last thing to check will be to see that the MPROP is actually receiving a signal to open/close.

I will keep you updated once I get volvo onboard again.
Thanks

Mark0474

Visit site
The way this system works is the high pressure pump has a restricter valve on its inlet called the MPROP valve. When the rail is empty or has low pressure the rail pressure sensor tells the MPROP to go to full open allowing the high pressure pump to quickly fill the rail and build up the pressure, once the correct pressure is obtained two things happen, the injectors start working and the MPROP gets a feedback to throttle back the pump so as to maintain the desired pressure, this loop continues in response to the demands received from the throttle at the helm, there are a few more sensors involved but the main one is the rail pressure sensor. Now this sensor is very sensitive to external voltage i.e. Static electricity and we have to wear a grounding lead when installing them. It sounds like there is no signal from this sensor so the MPROP isn’t opening and allowing fuel to the high pressure pump, the zero readings would indicate this, but if you can get an engineer who knows what he doing to connect a Vodia diagnostic tool there should be fault codes present to help narrow it down and you can see on the live data what is happening when you crank the engine.
Another thing to check is the engine earthing point as this has caused problems in the past and can cause spurious electrical problems.
Thank you, its exactly how I thought the system worked, so we are trying to get another Volvo tech to visit and get plugged in!
thank you

krisnish

Visit site
I am certain that it's an electrical issue. I am working on getting another more reputable volvo technician to come and plug in. The MPROP was replaced along with the pressure sensor so the last thing to check will be to see that the MPROP is actually receiving a signal to open/close.

I will keep you updated once I get volvo onboard again.
Thanks
Hi Mark-

I have the same exact issue after replacing the injectors and fuel pressure sensor. Any update on your engine?