Volvo D2-75 oil leak

cmedsailor

Visit site
Under my brand new volvo penta D2-75F (175 hours of usage) I see a little oil leak coming from where the the engine and the transmission (? it's a sail drive) joint. I will not ask "is this normal" because it is a brand new engine in a brand new boat so it shouldn't be normal (we don't find oil under new cars normally!).
Anybody else came across such a problem? Bolts not torgued to spec or coming a bit loose after first use probably?
For sure the boat is under warranty and will ask Volvo to inspect it but I wouldn't get very excited if they have to remove the engine....

Seahorse7101

Visit site
I have a D2-75 with a similar issue. Traced mine to a small hole at the back of the inter cooler that allows condensation to escape but oily water drips down. After a lot of emails to Volvo they fitted a catch can with a pipe connected to the hole at back of intercooler.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Apparently it's quite common with that motor

Volvo d2 75 oil leak/overloading - Yachting and Boating World
www.ybw.com › Forum › Forum › Yachting Monthly's Scuttlebutt

Jun 6, 2010 - We have a volvo D2-75 (c) shaft drive in our sailing boat its done 50 hours but when we cruise at 1600rpm oil dripps from a drain hole under ...
Volvo D2-75 oil leak 20 May 2019
volvo penta md5b oil leak 28 May 2018
Volvo D2-75 Turbo 21 May 2015
Volvo D2 owners 55 or 75... 2 Aug 2011

Quite a few more links here

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Volvo+D2-75+oil+leak+

cmedsailor

Visit site
An update. The leak initially was made up of two liquids. Engine oil and a strange red liquid. Engine oil proved to be from the oil filter. After the first engine there was some oil left and the filter was not properly tightened. I sorted this out by tightening the filter more, clean the oil, problem solved. No trace of engine oil (touch wood) after 10 or so hours of running. What I still see now is some leak (seems to be much less) of that red liquid. For sure it is not from the engine neither from the gear box as both use 10W40 (not ATF).
Question: is there such thing as ‘liquid gasket’? Could that be the mysterious red leak?
Thanks

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
An update. The leak initially was made up of two liquids. Engine oil and a strange red liquid. Engine oil proved to be from the oil filter. After the first engine there was some oil left and the filter was not properly tightened. I sorted this out by tightening the filter more, clean the oil, problem solved. No trace of engine oil (touch wood) after 10 or so hours of running. What I still see now is some leak (seems to be much less) of that red liquid. For sure it is not from the engine neither from the gear box as both use 10W40 (not ATF).
Question: is there such thing as ‘liquid gasket’? Could that be the mysterious red leak?
Thanks

There is such a thing as liquid gasket .... but it sets once applied so it can't be that. Coolant is often red and diesel can be red.

Richard

cloud7

Visit site
Thanks
I had a problem years ago with a previous boat ( Volvo) too much gear box oil, drained ran at 70% perfect , tilt of gear box blowing out .

Ring of fire

Visit site
We have D2 75 engine with what appears very similar leak. Leak comes from breather hole on underside of turbo and gathered around adjacent nut before making its way down side of engine casing. Engine two years old and now new turbo being fitted which warranty doesn’t cover at big euros. Check that the waste gate valve on the turbo is operating correctly. Apparently running at low revs causes carbon/ deposits to build and the thing stops working. When it doesn’t do its job the oil pressure builds and a leak can be born. Apparently high revs are needed to burn off these deposits and ensure things work as they should. If in doubt email VP with photos and contact Volvo Penta Action Service using their APP so that they can log/ trace the issue. Fingers crossed for you.

cmedsailor

Visit site
We have D2 75 engine with what appears very similar leak. Leak comes from breather hole on underside of turbo and gathered around adjacent nut before making its way down side of engine casing. .
Do you by any chance have photos of this breather hole? I have found some oil under the turbo and need to locate where it came from.
Thanks

cmedsailor

Visit site
Guys, sorry for coming back to this. I know now for sure that this very small oil leak is from the breather hole. Reading all the posts I am confused. Is it supposed to drip and I simply need to clean it?
Volvo mechanic said is the gasket between the engine and the gear box (sail drive). This is a huge job to replace and I should first check how much is the leak and then decide if it's worth doing it.

Bobc

Visit site
Just clean it every so often.

After all, it's a Volvo. In a few years it'll start coming out of the exhaust aswell ;-)

cmedsailor

Visit site
????? Kuno, what are you trying to say???? Any help/comments appreciated but explain please.
I do run the engine regularly at 2100-2200 rpm and occasionally at 2500 rpm. So, I cannot say that I am babysitting it!

Dave100456

Visit site

Kuno

Visit site
????? Kuno, what are you trying to say???? Any help/comments appreciated but explain please.
I do run the engine regularly at 2100-2200 rpm and occasionally at 2500 rpm. So, I cannot say that I am babysitting it!

We got a Volvo D2 75F. It’s 3 years old and has around 400 hours. For the first year I could get 2800 rpm under full throttle. Volvo recommends to run the engine wide open every 10 hours to prevent carbon build up in the turbo and waste gate. I noticed that in the second season we only got 2700 rpm. I could not quite figure out why. This fall when I did the oil change I noticed that the 2” hose clamp that holds the rubber hose that connects the turbo out to the engine intake slipped off and therefore would lose some of the Turbo charge. At that time I realized that the Waste gate is firmly stuck. So the waste gate seized regardless of us running the engine under full load for 5 min every ten hours. And yes we have a small oil leek as well. we met a lot of people that have the oil leek under the turbo on this engine. But that is not a big problem.
What I have to figure out is, what really happens to the engine if the waste gate does not work and you keep running it?
The question in my previous post was did Ring of fire have to get a new turbo because the waste gate was stuck?
I don't think Volvo really wants to admit that there is a problem so they are not helpful.

cmedsailor

Visit site
We got a Volvo D2 75F. It’s 3 years old and has around 400 hours. For the first year I could get 2800 rpm under full throttle. Volvo recommends to run the engine wide open every 10 hours to prevent carbon build up in the turbo and waste gate. I noticed that in the second season we only got 2700 rpm. I could not quite figure out why. This fall when I did the oil change I noticed that the 2” hose clamp that holds the rubber hose that connects the turbo out to the engine intake slipped off and therefore would lose some of the Turbo charge. At that time I realized that the Waste gate is firmly stuck. So the waste gate seized regardless of us running the engine under full load for 5 min every ten hours. And yes we have a small oil leek as well. we met a lot of people that have the oil leek under the turbo on this engine. But that is not a big problem.
What I have to figure out is, what really happens to the engine if the waste gate does not work and you keep running it?
The question in my previous post was did Ring of fire have to get a new turbo because the waste gate was stuck?
I don't think Volvo really wants to admit that there is a problem so they are not helpful.

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Important question: How do I understand if the waste gate is stuck? What are the symptoms?