Volvo D2-55A Oil pressure alarm

alastair

www.javacharter.co.uk
I have a Volvo D2-55A which has an intermittent (becoming more regular) low oil pressure alarm.
It only occurs after approx 5 or more hours of running at 2000 revs. After tickiver for a few minutes the alarm clears. The alarm never, ever, occurs at start up.
Service was due so I changed the oil and filter but no change. I now suspect the oil sensor switch but I’m worried it could be something more serious.
Grateful for any advice from the forum experts.

VicS

Visit site
I have a Volvo D2-55A which has an intermittent (becoming more regular) low oil pressure alarm.
It only occurs after approx 5 or more hours of running at 2000 revs. After tickiver for a few minutes the alarm clears. The alarm never, ever, occurs at start up.
Service was due so I changed the oil and filter but no change. I now suspect the oil sensor switch but I’m worried it could be something more serious.
Grateful for any advice from the forum experts.
No Oil pressure gauge on your panel I assume.
Two ways forward
Try replacing the sensor ( monitor) ( about £20 from Volspec https://www.volvopentashop.com/vols...eDieselEngines/7744440/7744440_30/7744440_086 but maybe find it for less elsewhere

Borrow or steal a gauge to check the oil pressure. It should be 150 to 500 kPa when hot and at operating speed, 50 - 150 kPa at idle

Just possible that there is some obscure fault with the VP panel of course so a pressure check is probably the best but 150 - 500 is a huge range

Workshop manual at https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf5/1...nta/d255.pdf?4104adb416c4f7a1b95411e16c533f75 if you need it

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
Obviously you've checked the oil level and there are no leaks nor contamination suggesting a blown head gasket or worn bearings.

While it might be the sensor that is at fault there are other possibilities. It could be that you are using an inferior grade of oil, or that your oil pump is getting worn. Sludge causing partial blockages affecting the flow is also possible but less likely.

Oil pressure is normally high when the engine is started cold, which is why you don't see a problem at startup.

I would recommend testing with a manual pressure gauge (screws in place of the sensor), if you can borrow one.

When I had a similar problem three years ago it was solved by switching from a 'budget' mineral oil to semi-synthetic.

Should it be the pump, hopefully your engine is designed, as it ought to be, so that it can be replaced without needing to dismantle the entire engine.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Visit site
Out with leaking injectors washing down the bores into the oil and the wrong oil/filter by pass issue. Must be the sensor I’d think.

alastair

www.javacharter.co.uk
Many thanks for your very much valued responses. I could not have hoped for any better response. The quality of engineering support provided on this website amazes me. I’m ordering a replacement pressure switch but also sourcing a gauge so that I can make an actual measurement. This is important in this case because it takes 5 running hours for the fault to show. An alternative is to fit a permanent oil pressure gauge and alarm. Does anyone know of the best way to do this?

VicS

Visit site
Many thanks for your very much valued responses. I could not have hoped for any better response. The quality of engineering support provided on this website amazes me. I’m ordering a replacement pressure switch but also sourcing a gauge so that I can make an actual measurement. This is important in this case because it takes 5 running hours for the fault to show. An alternative is to fit a permanent oil pressure gauge and alarm. Does anyone know of the best way to do this?

It depends on how you define " best"
Some people would not settle for anything that does not match the existing/original panel. To which end one option would be the complete de-luxe panel with voltmeter , temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge although you could economise by transferring existing bits and pieces to a new bare de-luxe panel and buying the gauges and other extra bits needed.

A far less expensive way forward if a gauge on its own little panel is acceptable is to look at what suppliers such a Furneaux Riddall have to offer ( quite a wide range by the looks of it)

Or take the cheapskate route by buying something cheap on ebay then getting the forum to help find all the bits need to install it.