Volvo aq 280 outdrive help needed!

Arthur 1019

Visit site
Hi . Any idea how to pair aq 280 outdrive (10 coarse splines )with aq131 4 cyl engine (26 fine splines).
What parts needed, etc...?
Thanks

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi . Any idea how to pair aq 280 outdrive (10 coarse splines )with aq131 4 cyl engine (26 fine splines).
What parts needed, etc...?
Thanks

Change the jackshaft or the outdrive uj . I’m might have some good used uj from 290 drives , that’s if they fit , I’m not sure without comparing them physically.

Arthur 1019

Visit site
That's what I was thinking to change u joint for fine splines but wasn't sure about compatibility. If anyone have ujoint or maybe just female fork end would fits perhaps. What is "jack shaft" ? You mean drive shaft in bellhousing ?
If anyone have any of these parts which help pair aq131 with280 I'll be very grateful. Please confirm guys what's best option that works 100%.
Thanks

Arthur 1019

Visit site
That's what I was thinking to change u joint but wasn't sure about compatibility. If anyone have ujoint or maybe just female end fork will work please let me know. What is "jack shaft" ? Did you mean drive shaft in bellhousing ? If you guys have any of these parts which will works would be really grateful.

Arthur 1019

Visit site
Change the jackshaft or the outdrive uj . I’m might have some good used uj from 290 drives , that’s if they fit , I’m not sure without comparing them physically.

Thanks for reply. That's what I was thinking to change u joint but wasn't sure about compatibility. What is "jack drive "? You mean drive shaft in bellhousing unit? Please check what parts you can source for me to get this setup working.

simonfraser

Visit site
Hi Arthur,

peeps here are v happy to make suggestions and help out with problems, but this is not a site that supplies parts.

have you done this kind of conversion before ?

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks for reply. That's what I was thinking to change u joint but wasn't sure about compatibility. What is "jack drive "? You mean drive shaft in bellhousing unit? Please check what parts you can source for me to get this setup working.

Need to remember that the engine is going to have to be moved to gain access to both sides of transom assembly especially to remove that internal bearing.
We used a very basic scaffold pole tripod with block and tackle system, if you do not want to go to the expence of cranes and Hi Abs etc.
Do the top hat steering fork shaft seals. while you are in there ,cost pennies.
That jack shaft costs a fortune new, a good secondhand one with correct splines is like rocking horse poo.
However there is lot that can be done to rescue your old one if needs must.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Arthur 1019

Visit site
Hi Arthur,

peeps here are v happy to make suggestions and help out with problems, but this is not a site that supplies parts.

have you done this kind of conversion before ?

Simonfraser,
I haven't done before that kind of conversion but some people done what I found on internet but don't know how. That's why I'm asking on this forum as can see many experienced people in wide range of marine engines especially Volvo's.
I know that forum is not a marketplace but some parts especially for that age of engine are extremely difficult to source sometimes almost impossible. That's why I'm asking for help with parts as well. Thanks for all advice.

Arthur 1019

Visit site
Need to remember that the engine is going to have to be moved to gain access to both sides of transom assembly especially to remove that internal bearing.
We used a very basic scaffold pole tripod with block and tackle system, if you do not want to go to the expence of cranes and Hi Abs etc.
Do the top hat steering fork shaft seals. while you are in there ,cost pennies.
That jack shaft costs a fortune new, a good secondhand one with correct splines is like rocking horse poo.
However there is lot that can be done to rescue your old one if needs must.
Good luck.
Oldgit,
Thanks for reply. I'm even prepared to pull out engine of the boat, I can use car engine crane for that. Something like shaft on your picture should work I think but needs to be sure that fits aq131. From what engine is yours pictured? Have you got dimensions?
Thanks for help.