volvo 2030 Oil Capacity

jacksaid

Visit site
The Volvo manual says a 2030 has a capacity of 4.5l of oil. I drained mine at the weekend (and I checked it was empty by undoing the sump drain plug) It only took about 3.5 litres and this checked after running - so the filter was full> Any ideas wy this should be

<hr width=100% size=1>

quaelgeist2

Visit site
Maybe I got that wrong, but I understand that the manufacturers figures include the capacity for the whole system, including the filter (possibly based on the assumption that you change the filter each time with the oil and thus have to put in oil for that, too).

Reading your posting I take it that, depending on the volume of your filter, you could get pretty close to the 4.5L - my filter is close to 1L and the rest might be the difference between low and high level of the old oil ?

chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site
This is one of those mysteries of life. I've done my own servicing on the 2030 for 5 years now and never get more than 3.5 litres out of her. The filter does use up another half litre or so. I'm pretty certain I have never left a litre in her and certainly the time it takes for the new oil to darken up suggests it is finding a nearly empty sump when it goes in. When I first got the 2030 (it's a B), the oil filter was nearly half the size. Volvo have increased the size so it probably takes a half litre now; before it must have been more like a third of a litre which makes the quoted capacity even more strange. The gearbox is pretty similar and a real pig to fill up - in fact it would win the prize for the design for the slowest in the world.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Probable reason...

It's probable that Volvo's quoted capacity is what you'd need to fill a brand new, unused engine. When you change the oil, there's still a lot left in pipes, oilways, sump, even just coating the insides. That's why you don't need 4.5 litres for an oil change.

But what I want to know is whether the people who design these marine diesels ever try to change the oil themselves? I have a 2003 in my boat and, like the 2030, it has an oil filter which spins on to a horizontal stub. As soon as you undo it, oil starts running down the engine block into the bilge. Why? Wouldn't it be much more sensible to mount the oil filter upright? Cost surely can't be an issue, bearing in mind Volvo Penta pricing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tom52

Visit site
Re: Probable reason...

I have exactly the same experience with the 2020.
I have always assumed the same as PVB and the new engine/oil change difference.
I also agree about the pain that is the horizontal oil filter ! Grrrrrrr.......

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site

Have you seen the DIY Volvo manual. They say to cover the oil filter in a plastic bag before you undo it. I'd like to see the guy who wrote the manual do it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk

Agree with this. Least messy way I've found is to puncture the filter with a screwdriver and let it drain into a container before removing it. You can then unscrew it using the screwdriver as a lever.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jacksaid

Visit site

thanks for your responses. I agree it is crazy having a horizontal filter and even using a plastic bag round the filter it is impossible not spill oil. I recommend holding a container under the filter, punching a hole and then letting it drain

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site

On my Perkins Perama - same base engine as the VP 2020, I jam rags under the filter, undo a little so oil is just seeping out, then a stout plastic bag over and spin it off quickly, and mop up any spilt oil before it gets into the bilges!
But it is a pain... - the problem is that the engine is a standard industrial unit and to modify it to make it easier costs money...
Have you ever tried changing the oil filter on a Vauxhall Corsa 1.5TD?? MUCH worse than the boat engine - usually takes me about 1½ hours to do an oil change!

I like the idea of the screwdriver thro' to drain the oil first - I might try that in the autumn.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Heckler

Visit site
did you undo the front sump plug?
if so the tilt back on the engine stops all the oil coming out so not a good check to see if it is empty
s

<hr width=100% size=1>