Volvo 2003 - Spares

JamesS

Visit site
We are going to be away for a fair bit this year. I would welcome any suggestions as to small spares that should be carried for the Volvo 2003 - starter motor brushes etc etc.

Many thanks in advance

sirius

Visit site
I can't suggest much other than the standard spares kit I carry:

2 x Fuel filter (in-case anything gets in there)
2 x Water pump paddle wheel
2 x Alternator Drive belt
1 x Thermostat

On the starter motor front I carry a spare starter motor. It is the same unit as is fitted to a Volvo 740 car (and many other Volvo cars) and when purchased as a tested unit from a scrap yard will be about £25. I figure that if I get a starter problem, replacement of the unit is the quickest fix. By the way, they have the same fittings, but the later ones (within last 8 years) are smaller and lighter.

Simon

andy_wilson

Visit site
I am fascinated by your posting regarding starter motors. Bosch BX108088 fits a multitude of Volvos excluding diesel variants, of which there were few in those days. Obviously the cranking requirement of a 2003 is less than a 4 cylinder 2.0 litre car diesel engine, but I have 2 questions.

1. Have you fitted it and does it work?

2. Is it the same starter on a Volvo 2002?

sirius

Visit site
Yes, I have fitted it, and it does work. The reason I found out about this was that I had my boat over-winter at Hayling Yacht Services on Hayling Island last year, and when I went to fire-up the engine prior to departing, there was no response. A bit of testing identified that the Starter was defective. Next door to the boat-yard is a car scrap-yard, so I wandered round on the off-chance. The chap took down all the identifying numbers on the starter, cross-referenced it in a couple if Volvo and Bosch books, and produced the salvaged starter. I paid £25, fitted the starter, fired up the engine, and just managed to catch the tide. Since then, the engine has run 120 hours, usually in short bursts as the boat is in Haslar Marina, and the starter has performed perfectly. Thus I ended up buying a backup unit of the same model for a further £25.

I believe it is the same on the 2002, although I have only checked it by sight.

Simon

JamesS

Visit site
Many thanks for your reply, I'm off to the breakers yard now.

By the way, what car uses the same alternator as the 2003?

Any ideas?

Cheers

tr7v8

Visit site
Tell us what the model number off of it is, I'd suspect it's a generic Bosch which is used on a vast amount of 1980's type cars. Look at something reasonably upmarket as it'll have A/C poss and elleccy windows and all th eother toys that use shed loads of power. Brakets can be fiddled to fit and packed with washers etc. Handing on most can be changed by unscrewing the body and rotaing the halves in different directions.
A lot of scrappies these days have books to look up no.s etc in.

Jim
------

AlexHall

Visit site
hi sorry to trouble you all,
but I believe the 2003 was originally a Perkins Perama either the 25 the 30 and the 35 hp models?

I was under the impression that perkins sold the production run to Volvo in the late 80's early 90's, even though the engine is of japanese origin, most of the parts I found are entirely interchangeable. So yes the starter motors and alternators are just off the shelf stuff and the later models came with 70 or 75 Amp alternators.

Al

mldpt

Visit site
HI Are you sure about this, I have a 2003 and have always believed that this was a Volvo engine and no other parts fitted, I have just rebuilt my engine new rings, bigends etc and had no joy getting non volvo parts and ended up paying a fortune for head gasket rings and shells etc, if you are right then I have paid through the nose.
mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

sapper

Visit site
Just wondered if you had a reply regarding the "Perkins Peramo", like yourself I have paid a small fortune on rebuilding a 2003.

<hr width=100% size=1>

scottie

Visit site
Re: Volvo 2003

the original 2001/2/3+3T are all volvo
the 2010 2020 2030 are perkins based

suggest that you carry spare water and fuel lift pumps espesially if you can get second hand units and refurbish them

there should be some scrapped 2000 seriwees by now

<hr width=100% size=1>