Voltage Sensing Relay - Recomendations

laika

Visit site
I have a blue sea one which works well except for an annoying feature I discovered soon after leaving Alderney after a few days on a buoy. It won’t combine batteries if the voltage on one is too low. So when planning an installation do consider installing an emergency manual battery combiner to avoid the necessity of heavy duty cable gymnastics in bumpy weather

B27

Visit site
I have a blue sea one which works well except for an annoying feature I discovered soon after leaving Alderney after a few days on a buoy. It won’t combine batteries if the voltage on one is too low. So when planning an installation do consider installing an emergency manual battery combiner to avoid the necessity of heavy duty cable gymnastics in bumpy weather
That is arguably a very sensible feature, connecting a big flat house bank to your start battery may not be a good idea!
How flat is 'too flat' though?

VicS

Visit site
That is arguably a very sensible feature, connecting a big flat house bank to your start battery may not be a good idea!
How flat is 'too flat' though?
The under voltage lockout for BlueSea VSRs is 9.5 volts . . . . It's in the specs on their website

lustyd

Visit site
I think a lot of them disconnect under engine start conditions anyway so you'd want the manual switch either way surely?

Supertramp

Visit site
Probably obvious, but fit a battery monitor to show the house and engine battery voltages. Invaluable for checking what's going on and monitoring charge state.

I recently had a charging problem and it gave me a lot of confidence from monitoring the battery voltages that I could start and run the engine for hours and that the house batteries would run the autopilot and navigation stuff. Possibly my most frequently used instrument!

pmagowan

sites.google.com

BEP Switch Cluster and VSR​

OperationSwitch PositionsEffect
Normal OnHouse and Start On, EP OffHouse and Start systems connected to their respective batteries independently. VSR will activate to parallel batteries for charging when engine running
Emergency ParallelAll switches onBoth batteries are joined in 1 bank
Start from HouseStart Off, House On, EP OnStart battery will be isolated. House battery will power all systems
Power from StartStart On, House Off, EP OnHouse battery will be isolated. Start battery will power all systems
All OffAll OffEngine and all switched loads will be isolated. Charger and unswitched loads will remain powered
This is my solution which is with BEP but can be done with any DVSR, allows for isolation of each battery for engine start or house loads. Prevents issue with over discharged battery leading to non-functioning system. Is wired different to the BEP standard wiring. The shunt is there for monitoring.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
There is another thread running on VSRs which is getting very technical (and slightly grumpy) so I'm going to keep off that one..

So some advice on wiring the VSR would be helpful...

My setup is as follows:

Boat lines on a mooring.

70a alternator (beta)
30w solar panel with 2 battery charge controller (engine battery priority)
Engine battery
Domestic battery 2x110ah
2kw inverter
Microwave (engine running while in use)
Cool box (wired via a relay to only run if the engine is on)

Currently 1:2:Both switch.

So how do I wire it so:

Cool box only runs with engine (curreny relay from key swich)

Solar panel does no confuse the VSR..

Inverter/microwave does not touch the engine battery. (Curreny the 1:2:both is set to domestic (1) only so what the alternator is not providing comes from that). Note it is only ever run for 6 or 8 minutes in 2 minutes blocks.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Charging-2-banks-VSR.jpg

Or if you must keep the 1-2-B just connect the 1-2-B as above. You can leave the coolbox on the relay. The solar controller would be best connected to just one battery bank, probably better to use the domestic bank.