Vodafoney roaming removal - some questions

Star-Lord

Visit site
But aren't they limited to Portugal only calls.

Are they free to receive UK Calls?

Three make a charge to phone from UK to a Portuguese number even with an unlimited minutes SIM.
I always use WhatsApp so its free over data -

Jungle Jim

Visit site
Google Vonage and see if they can help. Its a pseudo-landline service over the internet with apps for phone, tablet and pc. I think we pay £15 per month for a UK number with unlimited calls anywhere that works globally, they might be able to port your mobile onto it so you keep the number. Our telesales lady uses it from the Algarve, our customers just see a caller id of a UK number, if they dial it, it rings on her mobile.

RupertW

Visit site
Google Vonage and see if they can help. Its a pseudo-landline service over the internet with apps for phone, tablet and pc. I think we pay £15 per month for a UK number with unlimited calls anywhere that works globally, they might be able to port your mobile onto it so you keep the number. Our telesales lady uses it from the Algarve, our customers just see a caller id of a UK number, if they dial it, it rings on her mobile.
All iPhones have that as standard - just switch “Wifi Calling” on. Then if your phone is connected to Wifi but Cellular signal is poor or cellular is switch off then anyone calling your number will get through and you can get through to them. No call costs except the caller’s UK mobile rate no matter where you are.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Ok in defence of vodaphone I also had a problem but on renewal of contract I got a great deal with 100 gigs of data per month roaming
Took a lot of argument and threats etc but they came up with the goods, at a very reasonable price as well.
Suggest you go back to them get a new contract and negotiate a roaming deal

Goldie

Visit site
Ok in defence of vodaphone I also had a problem but on renewal of contract I got a great deal with 100 gigs of data per month roaming
Took a lot of argument and threats etc but they came up with the goods, at a very reasonable price as well.
Suggest you go back to them get a new contract and negotiate a roaming deal

Was that negotiated with Vodafone in U.K? No time limit on the EU roaming? Sim only contract? May I cheekily enquire as to roughly how much PM if you prefer)?My Vodafone contract expires in a month or so. Many thanks in anticipation.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Vodafone have just confirmed they will remove my free roaming in 15 days time, in spite of the fact that I have told them I am trapped in Portugal by the pandemic and it is my only way to keep in touch with family.

So what are my options with the existing phone? If I keep mobile data off and only use WiFi presumably WhatsApp and Messenger calls will still function, and UK numbers will still be able to voice call me in an emergency. I need to keep the existing number really as it is the one my business clients have. I guess a Skype contract will allow cheap voice calls to the UK.

But what if I put a local data-only SIM in my phone? How would WhatsApp work when my phone no longer has a number associated with it?

Wish I had a dual-SIM phone, that would be the best solution I imagine. All thoughts welcome, I know a lot of you will have faced similar issues.

- W

bendyone

Visit site
. No call costs except the caller’s UK mobile rate no matter where you are.

Not true for Vodafone wifi calling

Roaming
11. The use of Wi-Fi Calling whilst roaming is prohibited and is not supported. However, in certain circumstances it may be possible to enable Wi-Fi Calling whilst abroad and where used additional charges will apply.

12. If you're a Pay Monthly or Pay as you go consumer customer and make calls over Wi-Fi to a mobile or landline number within the country you're roaming in, your call will be charged at our standard international rates (business customers should check their standard international rates) and will be treated as a call from the UK to an international number. A pre-call announcement will play prior to connecting your call to remind you of this charge.

Sailfree

Visit site
Sorry don't understand these posts on Wi Fi calling?

If you use Whats App and Wi Fi to make a call to UK surely its the Wi Fi network you are using (not the mobile company) that is using the data. My Three mobile has a bar on premium rates so I cant make overseas calls to Portugal or France (I can phone UK from Portugal on roaming but mostly do it on Whats App)

I blitz UK calls when on a short visit when in the UK so my average over any period is either zero or mostly UK based.

Not had a problem with Three yet but i make sure I take out short 12 month SIM only contracts . If I want a new phone I buy it outright (its usually cheaper that way as well)

bendyone

Visit site
Sorry don't understand these posts on Wi Fi calling?

Wi fi calling is where the call is made via wifi but connected by your mobile opperator. Works where there is a wifi signal but no mobile signal. Not all phones can do this and it has to be turned on by the mobile opperator.
It is not the same as making a call with whatsapp ( or simular) over wifi which is free.

Sailfree

Visit site
Wi fi calling is where the call is made via wifi but connected by your mobile opperator. Works where there is a wifi signal but no mobile signal. Not all phones can do this and it has to be turned on by the mobile opperator.
It is not the same as making a call with whatsapp ( or simular) over wifi which is free.

Thanks - did not know that. Is there an app the mobile operator uses? Do you know when this is happening?

Only used mobile data and WhatsApp myself when not in UK.

bendyone

Visit site
Thanks - did not know that. Is there an app the mobile operator uses? Do you know when this is happening?

Depends on the phone model, with Vodafone works with my Blackview but not Oneplus 6T, There is no app. Needs to be activated but Vodafone on your account No charge for this.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Understood but do they always enforce it❓
Not in my case. We have been in France since the end of September, back in UK for a few days at beginning of December, in France ever since. Due to some very lengthy phone calls from France in December Vodafone know we are here. They say they will not disconnect us but reserve the right to charge extra for data. 100Mb contract, £20 p.m.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Have a look at SMARTY. Sim only deal £12 a month gets you 50gb. reduced to 20 Gb after about 6 months, much cheaper than my Greek Cosmote contract .
Don't pay for unlimited as that gets reduced to 20gb a month ,fair use policy.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Me ! I have been in Europe for over 12 months with them on the 50 gb deal ,I think they reduced it to 20 gb after 6 months ? but cannot remember accurately.
Its only a 1 month contract ,you can cancel at any time .
Bob did they send the sim out to you in greece? Was you given a new number or did u have to use an number you areal had? How you paying for it? Credit card? DD ? Standing order ?