Vodafoney roaming removal - some questions

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Vodafone have just confirmed they will remove my free roaming in 15 days time, in spite of the fact that I have told them I am trapped in Portugal by the pandemic and it is my only way to keep in touch with family.

So what are my options with the existing phone? If I keep mobile data off and only use WiFi presumably WhatsApp and Messenger calls will still function, and UK numbers will still be able to voice call me in an emergency. I need to keep the existing number really as it is the one my business clients have. I guess a Skype contract will allow cheap voice calls to the UK.

But what if I put a local data-only SIM in my phone? How would WhatsApp work when my phone no longer has a number associated with it?

Wish I had a dual-SIM phone, that would be the best solution I imagine. All thoughts welcome, I know a lot of you will have faced similar issues.

- W

Gwylan

Visit site
Your call, just offering a possible solution.

If you have the phone in any sort of protective case then it is safe inside the cover.
Well, that has been my experience for the last 18 months.

Sailfree

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your problem i can think of a few ways around it.

1. Ask Vodafone how much they will charge for calls temporarily as you are stuck in Portugal due to Covid restrictions. Copy it to your MP pointing out how unreasonable Vodafone are being in the exceptional circumstances of the pandemic.

2. Get a Portuguese sim allowing overseas calls and accept the cost. Tell you business contact your new number.

3. Get a relative in UK to take out a new mobile contract in UK with unlimited minutes (take the oportunity to get a dual SIM phone) get them to blitz it for 1 week with UK calls then post it to you in Portugal.

4. When back in UK get a PAC code to transfer your main mobile number to the new provider.

For those not currently in Webbys situation note Vodafone attitude. I had 2 UK mobiles. 1 with Three and 1 with Vodafone. Previous experience of poor customer attitude of Vodafone I cancelled that one and kept Three.

On UK visits I blitz the unlimited minutes with UK calls. In Portugal I use Whats App for nearly all UK calls. So far got away with this. This increases any average of calls over any long period to be predominately UK.

If this becomes a bigger problem I might get a second SIM and post it to son in UK and get my grandchildren to blitz the minutes for say 2 months then post it back to Portugal and send other one back. I think cheap SIM contracts are about £10pm.

IIRC Fair Use code is the average of calls over any 4 month period. I suspect some mobile providers will be more resonable than others hopefully posts like yours will get responses from people getting free roaming.

For these reasons I alway buy a phone outright and get an unlimited minutes SIM only contract for shortest period so if I end up with a bad provider/problems I can cut my minimal losses.

One other point- check who others use where you intend to be. I stupidly came off a hired motorcycle when backpacking through Vietnam. I was in the outback! My Three mobile had no service yet my Vodafone worked.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

starfire

Visit site
As others have said, time to move provider.

Lots of noise from most providers about no extra roaming charges, hit Vodafone where it hurts.

Another possible option, setup with a UK voip provider, I have one that gives me a UK landline number, with a voip app on my phone,very reasonable rates to call out & for my UK clients, a free call as its in their included minutes.
Better than them calling a Spanish number.

Sailfree

Visit site
As others have said, time to move provider.

Lots of noise from most providers about no extra roaming charges, hit Vodafone where it hurts.

Another possible option, setup with a UK voip provider, I have one that gives me a UK landline number, with a voip app on my phone,very reasonable rates to call out & for my UK clients, a free call as its in their included minutes.
Better than them calling a Spanish number.

Interesting - what are the costs roughly please?

WRT Vodafone their customer relations are so bad, their size so big they don't think anything will hurt them.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Yes, this is looking like a good option.

Am I right in thinking a Portuguese SIM will allow free roaming in Schengen?

- W
Make sure it's unblocked, so when you move on to the Canaries or Spain you can just change the sim again. As for the roaming ask the provider of the sim.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Am I right in thinking a Portuguese SIM will allow free roaming in Schengen?
- W

PAYG data sims here can't be used for roaming but most if not all phone sims OK. Phoning UK on Portuguese Voda PAYG is expensive, wife always seems to be using Whatsapp via mifi on boat.

We rarely use UK Vodafone PAYG phones here for calling but free (for us) to receive calls. If UK friends have spare free call allowance, txt them to phone you on UK phone:).

Sailfree

Visit site
Cheap second phone for a local sim?

We went this way - local SIM on PAYG - using an older Samsung phone we had.

Beware though that you must cancel Data Roaming or it eats all the money on the SIM doing app updates!!

This does not solve Webby's problem in retaining his UK telephone number for business contacts and family to phone him.

I will definitely go for a dual SIM phone next time but currently have 3 working Samsung phones!!

Last edited:

starfire

Visit site
Interesting - what are the costs roughly please?

WRT Vodafone their customer relations are so bad, their size so big they don't think anything will hurt them.

I have used this for years, so had to look it up.

I just chuck £20 on it now & then

The firm I use changed hands years ago, but still support the small users like me, their main business is providing sip trunking to big business, but lots of voip providers out there.
Setup I think is free.

The app I use is Zoiper, which either uses my inclusive data or wifi.

outgoing calls to UK landline £0.016
Uk mobile €0.12

I did originally run a voip phone system providing uk numbers to mates abroad.

Trident

Visit site
I hope this resolves

I took 3 years ago a Voda contract for unlimited phone, text and 100gb data for £20 a month which they said included unlimited roaming

Before signing I had them give me in writing assurance that no amount of time sailing abroad in the roam free countries would result in limits or denial of services etc

I guess it depends which plan you have but so far (all pre-Bexit admittedly but they gave the written confirmation knowing it was coming ) they have been good to their word.

billskip

Visit site
Webby I haven't read all this thread so maybe it's been said.

You dont need to do anything except only use your UK Vodafone account in emergency..your whatsapp/skype etc will all continue to work over free wifi. WhatsApp will work on free wifi even if your sim has expired..

Bilgediver

Visit site
Vodafone have just confirmed they will remove my free roaming in 15 days time, in spite of the fact that I have told them I am trapped in Portugal by the pandemic and it is my only way to keep in touch with family.

So what are my options with the existing phone? If I keep mobile data off and only use WiFi presumably WhatsApp and Messenger calls will still function, and UK numbers will still be able to voice call me in an emergency. I need to keep the existing number really as it is the one my business clients have. I guess a Skype contract will allow cheap voice calls to the UK.

- W

One option that Skype offer is a unique to you phone number. Heaven knows where in the Microsoft Version of Skype that choice appears but it will be there as a carryover from when Skype was Skype and the charge wasn't excessive. I have used Skype as a universal means of contact when travelling the world for about 20 years and with lots of WiFi every where it was my Whatsapp of the time. Cheap calls to landlines as well as device to device. I may now use Whatsapp via wifi more often however still have both. Skype has my directory of Airlines , Hotels Taxis and even family and friends etc world wide and has been a great help when planes have been delayed or diverted to other destinations. I have it in my phone and younger son uses that means to find me when he is reporting home from a destination in some faraway place while he enjoys the hospitality of a local quarantine before firing up his four turbo props to head to the next.