Victron battery bank dead after just three seasons, any bright ideas?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
He has 750Ah nominal capacity at 12V accross 6 batteries, but realistically that's 375Ah if he's feeling lucky and maybe 300Ah if he wants his batteries to last more than a couple of years. With standard discharge that should be about 31 Amps for the bank over 24h for lead.
The multi installed can suck 41.6A per battery and push 20A per battery. For a few minutes that's fine, but if using the full capacity regularly I'd expect the batteries to suffer a bit.
At the rated output of 3000w the multi would draw 300a from the batteries. You could technically do the for about an hour, but there isn't likely to be anything on the OPs boat that would use 3kw for an hour. We can run a all 4 induction hob plates and a 1kw kettle without overloading a 2kw Multi and it's not on for very long, the kettle boils in a few minutes and the hotplates are well within the 3kw rating.

A smaller, 2kw multi, won't even boil a standard kettle.

GEM43

Visit site
on an AGM?
Lifeline state that Equalisation is fine, Victron seem silent about it. I've interrupted the equalisation. It was interesting that even at 15.5v there was no great current being accepted by the batteries. Tomorrow the batteries are being tested, I'll see what that tells me.

Supertramp

Visit site
I'd go with B27 suggestion, force charge them for a day and see what happens.
the fact that charging goes to store mode doesn't mean they are full. I'd also do a equalisation routine (or three!)
if they are buggered, they are not going to get any worse, they just may not been fully charged for months and system thinks they are...
I agree. I would also check what voltage they settle at when disconnected from charging sources and with 0A load. They should settle at 12.7-12.8 but I suspect they may drop on down. Check there is no current leakage.

My Victron shows me similar big voltage drops when I use the anchor winch on 40 fathoms of chain (engine running), BUT they recover quickly back to a normal 12.4 ish under about 5 amps load.

Surprised that all six batteries are caput - I would test each under load and monitor the voltage over an hour.

The risk is that you could replace them all and discover the problem is nothing to do with batteries but relates to charging or discharging leading to another set jiggered.

Reactions: vas

GEM43

Visit site
I agree. I would also check what voltage they settle at when disconnected from charging sources and with 0A load. They should settle at 12.7-12.8 but I suspect they may drop on down. Check there is no current leakage.

My Victron shows me similar big voltage drops when I use the anchor winch on 40 fathoms of chain (engine running), BUT they recover quickly back to a normal 12.4 ish under about 5 amps load.

Surprised that all six batteries are caput - I would test each under load and monitor the voltage over an hour.

The risk is that you could replace them all and discover the problem is nothing to do with batteries but relates to charging or discharging leading to another set jiggered.
Yes, thanks, all good advice. It’ll be interesting to see what the battery testing reveals tomorrow. Since interrupting the Equalisation phase the charger has gone to absorption phase and is charging 7A, be interesting to see how long that goes on for.

Supertramp

Visit site
Yes, thanks, all good advice. It’ll be interesting to see what the battery testing reveals tomorrow. Since interrupting the Equalisation phase the charger has gone to absorption phase and is charging 7A, be interesting to see how long that goes on for.
On my charger (Sterling), on shorepower, it lasts an hour or two. Then it stops feeding any current and the system sits for hours or days with no top up until the volts drop below 12.7-8. I leave it with zero load and zero current. Batteries SLA, 5 years old, 2×180Ah.

vas

Visit site
I'd see how long that takes, if it goes to the next stage (however it's called by Victron!) then i'd be tempted to start another equalisation and interrupt it after 10mins and see if it still pumps in 7A for a few more hours, sign the batteries are not full at all...
and I'd go from there

geem

Visit site
What is the charging profile for your AGMs? Does it match the Victron recommended settings? I assume you spend the vast majority of the time connected to shorepower in a marina. If these settings are correct, the batteries should last a long time.

GEM43

Visit site
I'd see how long that takes, if it goes to the next stage (however it's called by Victron!) then i'd be tempted to start another equalisation and interrupt it after 10mins and see if it still pumps in 7A for a few more hours, sign the batteries are not full at all...
and I'd go from there
This happened last night:

1728375904910.png

The interrupted equalisation is clearly seen at 18.00 last night. Then steadily the V decreased (temp compensation?) and the A increased until 02.00, charging 20A at peak. Then in to float since 02.00. Battery temp increased up to 39C at 02.00 then reduced. It seems that I’ve been misled by the Multi going to Storage mode having not fully charged the batteries. The equalisation seems to have kicked off a Multi realisation that the batteries aren’t fully charged. Not great is it.

GEM43

Visit site
What is the charging profile for your AGMs? Does it match the Victron recommended settings? I assume you spend the vast majority of the time connected to shorepower in a marina. If these settings are correct, the batteries should last a long time.
It needs checking, it was setup by the Victron agent three years ago, I’ll look. Yes the boat spends the majority of its life in a marina berth on shorepower. Our last boat had a Victron Multi and Lifeline batteries - which were still in good shape after 16 years deployed.

vas

Visit site
look, it's pumping lots of amps for 8h! definitely batteries not full.
As I said I'd do it again (interrupt an equalisation) and see how the pattern develops.

lustyd

Visit site
it's pumping lots of amps for 8h!
Do check that bulk isn't limited to 8 hours, the B2B come with a limit on time for this phase and for larger banks this can cause issues.

That said, if charging longer try to ventilate as 40C is pretty warm!

vas

Visit site
Do check that bulk isn't limited to 8 hours, the B2B come with a limit on time for this phase and for larger banks this can cause issues.

That said, if charging longer try to ventilate as 40C is pretty warm!
most likely is, there's no way bulk stops just like that while batteries are accepting 20A, only due to a timer!
@GEM43 you need to start reading the manual and checking config settings on the multi.

lustyd

Visit site
If that’s the case then no need to use equalisation (which isn’t recommended on AGMs) just restart the charge cycle after waiting for the batteries to cool a bit

GEM43

Visit site
Batteries have just been tested. One dead battery found in the bank of six. Now excluded from the bank and charging the remaining five in Abs phase @ 20A again.

vas

Visit site
Batteries have just been tested. One dead battery found in the bank of six. Now excluded from the bank and charging the remaining five in Abs phase @ 20A again.
how were they tested? with these el. testers that give a voltage and CCA rating? or manually?

vas

Visit site
If that’s the case then no need to use equalisation (which isn’t recommended on AGMs) just restart the charge cycle after waiting for the batteries to cool a bit
not sure how you can restart the charge cycle, hence recommending a quick equalisation interrupted leaving them in bulk.
OK, I know in theory turning off charger, starting something heavy for a 10mins and then reconnecting should be enough.

GEM43

Visit site
not sure how you can restart the charge cycle, hence recommending a quick equalisation interrupted leaving them in bulk.
OK, I know in theory turning off charger, starting something heavy for a 10mins and then reconnecting should be enough.
Yes, simple off/on leads to a very short Abs phase then down to Float. I think I’ll try charger off, a ten min 50A load, then charger on.

lustyd

Visit site
usually with Victron a simple off and on again works but I've never used a Multiplus