VHF radio

beneteau_305_553

Visit site
I need to get a new fixed VHF and considering the Uniden Solara from uniden direct $79 +$35 shipping + vat(or E bay £100) or the Nasa with DSC at £200 +shipping.
I have a remote speaker at present and want to hear the radio from both speakers, which I understand does not happen with the nasa set. Can someone confirm that the solara does? My old Navico set works both speakers at the same time.
The solara doesn't have DSC. Does anyone use DSC and is it worth it?
The solara also doesn’t have any warranty so would appreciate to hear of any reliability problems experienced with the solara.

<hr width=100% size=1>Richard

dickh

Visit site
Very few VHF radios can hear from two speakers, the only way is ro disconnect the internal speaker and wire in two external peskers. Usually once the extenal speaker is plugged in, it disconnects the internal speaker. There are ways around this and I expect you will get a few suggestions from this forum.
DSC is not necessary but be aware that to sell a VHF radio without it being "DSC capable" is illegal in the EU(meaning that DSC can be added at a later date) - and it must be CE marked and approved. This is why all VHF's sold through Chandleries are either DSC capable or with DSC. I understand the Uniden range are not compliant(has never been marketed in the EU legally) - but will you ever get found out? - I very much doubt it.
If you can afford it, DSC is a good idea if you do a lot of cruising as you get an instant mayday with position broadcast which anyone with a DSC radio will hear.

It's up to you, don't forget you can still buy second hand VHF's which do not have to have DSC - usually several on Ebay or from your local marine electronic guy from prople who have upgraded.
Regarding the Solara can't Uniden advise you about the speaker? Or try
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.westmarine.com>http://www.westmarine.com</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Hi Richard,

"I need to get a new fixed VHF and considering the Uniden Solara from uniden direct $79 +$35 shipping + vat(or E bay £100) or the Nasa with DSC at £200 +shipping."

The Uniden set will have been produced for the US market only and is not legal for use outside of the US. This means that you will run the risk of a fine when caught.

"The solara doesn't have DSC. Does anyone use DSC and is it worth it?"

DSC is the "present" for the Merchant Marine and very importantly the Coastguard while being the "imminent future" for pleasure craft owners. Presently, there are some 16,000 UK vessels fitted and operating VHF/DSC this number is increasing (at present) by around 200 per week. It is worth remembering when thinking about DSC that all Solas Convention vessels are already on it, most registered fishing vessels are on it and that the Coastguard is on it and committed to seriously downgrading its C16 listening capability in 2005.

"The solara also doesn’t have any warranty so would appreciate to hear of any reliability problems experienced with the solara."

This is common to most equipment purchased from the US which won't be used there! The best level I've seen is having to send the kit back to the US if the warranty is needed, this is because Euro agents won't touch the kit because it is illegal outside of the US.

Hope this helps in some way.
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>Manager,
Aeronautical & Maritime Services Section,
Radiocommunications Agency