vhf MMSI number

victor441

Visit site
I've just bought a (second-hand) boat with a fixed DSC VHF radio. Unfortunately I can't make any calls since it appears that I need an MMSI ( Maritime Mobile Service Identifier) number for it to operate. Previously I've used a handheld radio and so I don't know what I need to do to get this number. Can anyone advise me? Thanks

duncan

Visit site
many are - some aren't Steve. One of those - what's the unit / has it been changed befoe questions.

also many units have a software cheat to get into change - give it to a couple of 12 year olds to crack!

Micky

Visit site
The way i understand it is, and i might be wrong, so someone else may give a better understanding of it.

An MMSI number is allocated to one person only and who has passed the necessary Maritime Radio Operators course and obtained the required certificate, which will show a certificate number. Everyone that requires an MMSI number has to sit this one day easy to pass course.

You then apply to OFcom for a licence, which will eventually issue you with an MMSI number.
They will only contact you at your home address, but first you need to register on the OFcom site and give them your details.

Once you receive your MMSI number, you then enter it into your radio, that's providing someone has not already entered their MMSI number into it.
IF they have, you will need to get the radio decoded, because you can't put a new MMSI number into an old radio.

Your allocated MMSI number is unique to the owner/you at the time of it's issue. It's yours, you keep it forever, until you either surrender it, or OFcom takes it off you.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
That is not as I understand it.

The MMSI number is issued to the boat and it passes on with the boat. It is isuued the same time as you get the VHF certificate etc, It has nothjing to do with the individual or VHF exam etc. It costs nowt.

BrendanS

Visit site
Other way around. The MMSI and the call sign, are allocated to the boat, not to a person. If you sell the boat, ofcom need to be notified of new owner, so the MMSI and callsign for that boat can be transferred from you to new owner of the boat.

You will need to apply for a new mmsi and call sign, or take over the existing mmsi and callsign for the vessel if buying a vessel already registered.

victor441

Visit site
How do I know whether or not the vessel has been previously registered? Do I contact Ofcom or if possible the previous owner?

Micky

Visit site
I guess i got it back to front, but was not sure and still not sure.

I have in front of me, my Maritime Radio operators certificate, but there is no MMSI number on it, only a certificate number.

I need to get my MMSI sorted out, and have contacted OFcom.

I was told the boat has to have a licence before you can use the radio, AND BEFORE you can use the radio, you need to pass the Maritime Radio Operators day course, before OFcom will issue you a licence.

At the moment, i have one without the other.

BrendanS

Visit site
What you have is an operators licence, which means you've passed the exam to operate short range marine vhf radios.

The mmsi number is issued with the licence for the boat, which is totally separate. You'll need to have done the dsc course (if you have previously completed a non dsc vhf course, you'll need to do an upgrade course)

You can still operate the radio in an emergency without the ships certificate

Micky

Visit site
Thanks Brendan.
Yes mine is the upgrade to use DSC.

So my next step is obtaining a licence for the boat and MMSI number will come with it. Do I take it, that OFcom will provide the licence.

Micky

Visit site
Cheers Brenden, very helpful feedback.

I have registered and contacted OFcom online, now waiting to hear from them.

Thanks for the help.

Micky

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You'd have thought that those that didn't know about MMSI's would have learnt all about it on their VHF course before they got their operator's certificate - I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it would save a lot of time, but while on our course there was no mention of MMSI other then you would need a number to use a DSC radio, but in early 2005 not a lot of people were using DSC, most like us were still using the old VHF and in over twenty years, never had a licence or operators certificate. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
[ QUOTE ]
I've just bought a (second-hand) boat with a fixed DSC VHF radio. Unfortunately I can't make any calls since it appears that I need an MMSI ( Maritime Mobile Service Identifier) number for it to operate. Previously I've used a handheld radio and so I don't know what I need to do to get this number. Can anyone advise me? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You could try checking the boat name through the MARS Database . If it had a radio licence then the Call Sign and MMSI number should show. If the boat name is a common one, then trawl through them as the previous owners name will show in the details.

clivew05

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
..I was told the boat has to have a licence before you can use the radio, AND BEFORE you can use the radio, you need to pass the Maritime Radio Operators day course, before OFcom will issue you a licence.

[/ QUOTE ]

As previously mentioned - the radio operators certificate and the boat license are two different and separate entities. You can and must have a radio license and at the time of application (or afterwards if you change your radio to DSC) you can apply to OfCom for a radio license with MMSI (and any other equipt like RADRA and EPIRB) mentioned on it - This is for the BOAT and stays with the BOAT for ever and a day even when you sell it - as mentioned before OfCom need to be advised that you have sold the boat and the new owners need to contact them to register against that MMSI number with the boat.

The Radio certificate is something that you do the 1xx days course for - it should be obtained before you use the radio - or someone else on the boat must have one before you use the radio under their supervision, however this has nothing to do with the radio license or the MMSI number. The license is just so that you are competent in using the radio with particular reference to MAYDAYS and PANPAN's etc etc so that you do not get your knickers in a twist in an emergency and can clearly call the cost guard and report any emergency, the DSC add on to the radio course teaches you how to use the DSC side of the radio (where the MMSI number is stored) what to do when you have pressed the button, wait for coast guard to come back to you - what to do on a MAYDAY relay and so on.

Hope this helps

Clive