Varnishing

iainmillett

Visit site
The grab handles on my cabin top are showing increasing signs of black mould.
I'm stripping off the old varnish with a sander etc - does anyone have any tips to remove these dark blemishes within the wood?

I assume the grab handles are teak.

tcm

Visit site
Yep, oxalic bleacfhes the wood back, but you should decide how they got black. It's usually because they are constantly damp. I wd guess that on the upper side thay catch water which can't escape, so it needs a decent groove perhaps underneath the grab handle to allow the water to escape. Often it's the contact area betwween the two, so that gap need either to be sanded utterly flat (which is incredibly hard to do) or (easier) to have multiple grooves so the water can run thru and dry out.

Another possible cause is dodgy varnishing which allows some damp water in which can't then get out: the handles need to be completely dried (and taken off if poss) then smootheed with sandpaper down to flourpaper. Then turn the grain with a damp cloth, allow to dry and sand again and again. The smoother the better, then a series of thin coats to protect.

nrorke

Visit site
If the grab-handles are teak (or iroko - a perfectly adequate substitute) then you might be better off oiling them. Teak oil is easily obtainable from chandlers or people like B&Q. a quick wipe over from tim to time will keep this naturally oily wood well protected.

BrendanS

Visit site
As you are relatively new to forums, but by no means a newbie, expect a comprehensive response on why teak oil is not a good long term solution to keeping teak. My bet is on tcm to deliver an eductional lecture /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Other threads that may be of interest