Vanishing Stability of 4WD's

max_power

Visit site
Vanishing Stability of 4WD\'s

Are we more likely to capsize in a car than a boat ?

Did you see that program on TV concerning stability of 4WD’s ?

Under test conditions a conventional car followed another at around 70 mph. The car in front slammed it’s anchors on and the car behind swerved to avoid an impact. It was found that the car following could not be rolled.

The same test was then conducted with an aging Range Rover DOING 45 mph. The Range Rover then went into a horrific series of rolls. Scary.

Should carmakers publish stability curves like yachts ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Vanishing Stability of 4WD\'s

They were withdrawn and heavily modified after that magazine road tester almost rolled it on a standard test! In Sweden I think.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site

ESP and Michelin tyres added.

I for one do not see the attraction of 4WD's if you live outside farms, hilly or snow bound areas or have regularly to tow heavy weight trailors.

They are slower, thirstier and consume what is becoming increasingly a scarce resource. There is a gathering movement in the US against the SUV gas guzzlers for this reason.

Are 4WD drivers compensating for something??

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

<<They are slower, thirstier and consume what is becoming increasingly a scarce resource. >> I thought that was the point. Look at me. I've got loadsamoney. I don't care if the care does 7mpg. People who are really full of it drive Humvees!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site

i drive a motorbike. (only thing that'll go on deck) so what does that make me?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site

That's real stability - not much room on the decks!

Bike : I had mine nicked - had to sue the insurance company to get reimbursed.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site
Re: Vanishing Ability

This news gives a new unintended meaning to 'off-the-road' vehicles. WHich is probably why the industry prefers 'all-terrain' vehicles now. Ho hum!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A>

broadnorfolk

Visit site

Didn't see the programme, but have seen other reports re 4wds and people carriers - instability is much exagerrated when these things are towed on trailers - I nearly got wiped out by one last year on a dual carriageway - me in the outside lane - people mover on trailer coming other way, trailer starts to swing and bounces off the ahlco right in front of me, careens across cariageway and rolls over taking towing vehicle with it.

Lucky I was wearing the brown trousers that day - if it wasn't for the ahlco barrier....

I note also that the guy who caused the big rail crash when he went down the embankment was towing something similar at the time, which may have been an additional factor.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site

Hate to disagree but he was towing with a Land Rover and on the trailer was a Renault 21.
Aside from rollover issues of 4 x 4's I am always concerned about their braking distances which seem to be vastly more than a conventional saloon.
In the US their is the beginnings of a backlash on SUVs as they call them because of the damage they cause in an accident. About bloody time as far as I am concerned.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

B

bob_tyler

"Are we more likely to capsize in a car than a boat ?"

Yes, unless the boat is a multi-hull!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site

no comment on the physical stability but mental stability v questionable .. you have a boat and a motorbike!!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Darwin and the hedgehog

We all know the hedgehog and Range Rover joke.

It is to the benefit of the human race that people who drive 4WD vehicles on roads, unless to get to market or to the County Show, should be eliminated as soon as possible. What we see here is Natural Selection at work.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site

What about if you live a supposedly urban area, and still need one. I live not far away from Reading, in a little pocket of tranquility which is essentially rural.

For several weeks/months a year, I have to drive down a lane which can flood for over half a mile, sometimes to several feet deep. Even the lane outside my house (with deep drainage ditches) can flood deep enough to strand vans and lorries.

Anyone who came to visit me in the summer would wonder why I had a 4x4. Assumptions can be very misleading.

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide